Quantcast
The Dark Side.... Carbon Steel at it's best - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dark Side.... Carbon Steel at it's best

Engorged Member
    Big stuff is carbon, little stuff is stainless. I like my blazen petty and my Hattori FH parer. I do have a Del Ealy petty on the way. Very excited about that!

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I do have a Del Ealy petty on the way. Very excited about that!

Pesky
    It's a fine knife, you'll love it
    - Sean

I've definitely started leaning towards carbon. It began as a result of my Misono Swede gyuto, then grew because of my good friend P Tiger lending me his fuji FKH (which I promptly bullied him into letting me purchase). The carbon love has since grown and I don't see myself going back anytime soon. Although, I am really enjoying my clad funayuki...that still counts as carbon, right?
    White steel has blown my mind and next on my radar is O1, then I might give 52100 a try.
    Even my wife is finding the patinated (that's the correct term ) blades increasingly appealing.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Whoot All the usual suspects popped up Love you guys lol.

I did find a few stainless blades I'll not part with only due to sentimental reasons. A Chicago Cutlery bio curve 1" parry (first kitchen knife I ever purchased age 13), a Messermeister 3" Chef (fathers-day gift from my daughter) and of course the set of 3 LR Harner Chefs 7.5", 8.5", and the 11.5" this was a set made for each family member for Christmas a few years ago. Oh ya the knife I went through culinary school, but it's retired awaiting engraving...

Yes the KU finish is ever present in mind I still scan through sites and only look at the KU offerings it seems. Keeps me from staying on any one site to long as to add something to the cart Lucky for me most don't carry many pieces and or don't list them visually.

While I LOVE my Carter Nakiri and use it regularly, my top fav KU right now is the Konosuki usuba I got on the group buy, amazing look and texture that is a small step up from Takeda's work. And I LOVE Takeda's KU finishes

I still need to get a few makers KU stuff just to have them

Quote Originally Posted by DwarvenChef View Post
    Whoot All the usual suspects popped up Love you guys lol.

I did find a few stainless blades I'll not part with only due to sentimental reasons. A Chicago Cutlery bio curve 1" parry (first kitchen knife I ever purchased age 13), a Messermeister 3" Chef (fathers-day gift from my daughter) and of course the set of 3 LR Harner Chefs 7.5", 8.5", and the 11.5" this was a set made for each family member for Christmas a few years ago. Oh ya the knife I went through culinary school, but it's retired awaiting engraving...

Yes the KU finish is ever present in mind I still scan through sites and only look at the KU offerings it seems. Keeps me from staying on any one site to long as to add something to the cart Lucky for me most don't carry many pieces and or don't list them visually.

While I LOVE my Carter Nakiri and use it regularly, my top fav KU right now is the Konosuki usuba I got on the group buy, amazing look and texture that is a small step up from Takeda's work. And I LOVE Takeda's KU finishes

I still need to get a few makers KU stuff just to have them
    The Shigafusa KU nakiri is a mighty fine looker too. Surprised you never splurged on one
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    The Shigafusa KU nakiri is a mighty fine looker too. Surprised you never splurged on one
    Splurged?
    I picked mine up at the same time as a Takeda nakiri. The Shige was less expensive, larger, and straight! Granted, nothing is a 'rustic' as Takeda's finish, but Shiges' won't flake off in your food either.

DC- I'm suprised and impressed (?) - it seems like you've never gone on a binge at A-frames...they seem to have the best collection of multi-maker kuro. I would think one weekend dealing ice up there in central hell and you would have enuf green to fill your cart

The Shiggy has been always on my mind, So many to choose from I guess because I already have a Carter Nakiri that I never jumped on the Shiggy one. Other than the Nakiri and Santuko I have not seem many KU shiggies. But I also haven't looked around much lately.

I was working on my blades yesterday and the bug hit me pretty hard, had to go for a ride to distract myself. It was so nice to have the H AS 300 Gyuto in hand again I also put a fresh coat of Camilia oil on the blades and handles (sans Ho wood), and the Ironwood Burle just lit up under the lights, I've got to get my daughter to get good pics of them (when her Contender sells)... I also got caught up in the patina on the Hiromoto HC, my first Japanese kitchen knife. The depth of years in the patina, the wear marks from a pinch grip, the near shiny area near the spine and bolster where foods never seems to reach. Ya I was going crazy yesterday lol