Reducing stiction on Kono HD suji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbott

Reaction score
Hey all,

is there any ways physically possible, perhaps via edge geometry or whatever, to reduce stiction on a Konosuke HD suji? I have this suckling pig dish on my station, which involves slicing guanciale a la minute, and it's ruining my life. A co-worker has a slicer (it's fairly common, but I'm blanking on the name) with a heavily dimpled surface, which does fine, but it's impossible to slice the stuff without massacring it with my kono. As I understand it, the kono, being a 'laser', is so thin it practically has no grind geometry to speak of, and therefore doesn't shed food. Now, since the Kono is my only slicer, and I don't want to ask my buddy to use his slicer every night, is there anything I can do?

My guess is that most of your answers will be something along the lines of "that's an excellent excuse to buy another one!" But I'm broke. I mean I'm a cook, what would you expect?

As usual, thanks ahead of time for the input.

T

I am not sure if you can do anything about that due to the grind and the thinness of the blade, you don't have much steel there to play with , more experienced users will chime in, I would be personally inclined to sell yours and buy something with less flex, more substantial at the spine, but thinner behind the edge like Kochi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i sushi, you keep a six or nine pan full of water, stick your tip in the water and hit the butt end of your handle on your board before the slicing begins. it will give you a wet edge and go through things way way easier.

if you decide to sell the knife LMK!

Keep the cured meat icy cold, if serving cold. Or slice slightly warmed. Room temp pig fat is a sticky, smeary mess.

Spray your blade down with food release spray, dip in clarified or evoo...

You coulod try extremely asymmetrical sharpening though I doubt it would make a big difference, like you say with so little steel to play with it's tricky

A Konosuke HD Suji if in good shape will sell.You can get less expensive carbons that will work better for your a la minute slices.Are you cutting with limited space on a thin line board?I like smaller suji's for line slicer.The Takeo Murata Blue#1 Aogami Koyanki slicer Kurouchi finish,nice octagon handle 64hrt.,is a great meat slicer,takes a nice patina wt. protiens.The Kurouchi & patina less stiction.

As your co-worker has a blade that works better,you could also sell your Kono. HD & get what he has.Just my experience that good carbon steel makes better specialty slicers,Yanagi's or suji's.

If you want to keep the knife, you may consider to convex it from the spine, having the spine thinner than the middle. Kesseler Walkschliff in German IIRC.

Other than changing the geometry (convexing) or the tricks mentioned above, nothing you can do.

#repost from ano thread that this response wrongly went to.#

Hi
Has the knife face ever been on the stone flat?

as said above, convexing it may work. Try sharpening it on sand paper with soft backing.. say either soft leather or say 20 paper of newspaper or what ever is required. IN addition, leaving the striations from 600 grit sandpaper will leave fine serrations/ striations which may reduce stiction if you had smoothened/ polished the blade face before.

a) Thinning it at a very low angle with starting grit of 400- 600 auto sand paper and then higher shld you desire a smoother finish.

b)The final edge can still be on sandpaper , finer if you prefer.

Hope it helps.

Question. : are all lasers being thin, really flat at the blade face? Is it a fact or supposition?

Have fun.. rgds

try wiping it with a damp towel like other have suggest. that what sushi chef do or else the fish will be sticking to the knife like crazy.

Thanks everyone who replied. I have been out of town since I put up the original post and just got back to see a wealth of good ideas. Getting back to work today, so I'll try some of those things out. I am not necessarily in love with the Kono, so for those that expressed interest in purchasing I will keep you in mind if I decide to part with it, but I'd like to see what I can make work first. Of course, what I had in mind in originally posting is one garniture on one dish, so It might not be the end of the world to have a slightly more 'bodied' knife on line that could make it happen. Either way, thank you for all the thoughtful responses and I'll try some of those tips out.

T

Back