Quantcast
Pulled the trigger - Gesshin Uraku 240mm SS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pulled the trigger - Gesshin Uraku 240mm SS

Pulled the trigger - Gesshin Uraku 240mm SS

With your recommendations and talking with Jon I finally pulled the trigger on a knife! It is unfortunately in the mail and the waiting is hell!
    I got a King combo whetstone with it, too!

Just a quick question, I read on a few places while lurking the forums that they come in a really RIGHT-HANDED BIAS.

I had mentionned I was left-handed and after seeing this made me wonder:

- Is this a big deal
    - Can I make it work with whetstones ( I will learn to sharpen when package gets here!)

Thanks so much for your help in my venture into Japanese knives! I will post pictures when everything gets here!

Alex

It is not a big deal. You can fix it on the stones if you like but I would recommend getting a very low grit stone for that. Doing that on a 1k would suck. Also I would recommend learning to sharpen on a beater knife before you hit your nice knife on the stones.

Also in the future I am sure Jon would have done that conversion for you.

Enjoy your new knife.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

In all honesty, Jon gave me the best info, answered to ALL my questions and gave me customer service to die for. I didn't force the lefty thing because I was sure(for an unknown reason) it came 50/50!

Thanks for your insight. I will definitely learn to sharpen on my Faberware **** knives. I have a bunch of Chef Tony's knives I got as a gift a while back but they all have a weird serrated blade so I can't sharpen them!

Thank you and will post picture fore sure, I CAN'T wait

Sponsors
    I wish I knew... I could have sharpened it differently before shipping... Sorry about that

Also please make sure you know what you are doing before you start removing a lot of metal. If you do convert it over to a 50/50 or lefty grind you will also need to do a lot of thinning.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    I wish I knew... I could have sharpened it differently before shipping... Sorry about that
    Thanks, it is really my bad. :/ I should never assume things.

Still hyped but a little sad. If I do get it sharpen here, what would be an ok price to pay for it to be transform into a 50/50 or lefty?

I am sure that is different from person to person. I think Jon would be the best person for this at the moment, especially considering that it is a brand new knife from his shop.

Also I don't think it is a game ender if your choose not to get it re-beveled. Don't fret. Talk with Jon and see what options you have

Sponsors
    if you are ok with the price of shipping, i would do it for you for free... but international shipping isnt cheap (even to canada)

I will check for prices here and when it gets dull and I need something else I might go that route. Because as you stated, 2x shipping isn't cheap! Thanks so much Jon. Again, my bad!

greasedbullet, than you also for your quick chime-ins! Really appreciate it.

I will update the thread later this week and the next when the knife comes around!

Anytime.

Have fun with your new knife.

+ Reply to Thread