Quantcast
Heat Treating
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat Treating

Heat Treating

I found the following on heat treating AEB-L on the net...specifically on www.alphaknifesupply.com:

Heat Treating Information:
    Preheat: Heat to 1560° and equalize.
    1920°F Austenitize: Ramp to 1920°F and hold at temperature for 15 minutes. Oil or plate or air quench as quickly as possible.

1975°F Austenitize: Ramp to 1975°F and hold at temperature for 5 minutes. Oil or plate or air quench as quickly as possible.

Cryogenic Treating: To get the most from AEB-L you must cryo. Cool to -95 °F. No soak is required.

Temper: Temper immediately after hardeneing or cryo. Temper at least 2 times for two hours each time. Use the table below to achieve desired hardness.

I'm bound to start searching what the difference between the two austenitizing temps do, but I would like some input here as well. It seems weird to me, these forumulas.

So let me see if I get this right:

Start the oven, get it to 1,560 degrees

Open door, insert blanks, close door

Turn up temperature to either temp

Wait the 20 or so minutes it will take the oven to get there

Then let it soak for 5 or 15 minutes at either 1920 or 1975

Remove blanks immediately and quench

Cryo in some stupid cold liquid

Then temper immediately based on the table

That sound right?

What will oil versus plate versus air quenching do to AEB-L?

Lot's of questions....sometimes the engineer in me sucks!

That would work.

Oil quench would give higher hardness. Plate quenching will give similar hardness to oil quenching but will keep it straighter. Air quenching is the least severe so if you had a complicated shape (probably not a knife) it would be the best.

Thanks Larrin!!

Ha ha. I want some "stupid cold liquid" for my shop. Would Bud Lite count?

I would suggest seeing if Devin Thomas would either chime in here or give him a call. I believe he is the AEB-L heat-treating expert in the knife-world.
    -M

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rader View Post
    Ha ha. I want some "stupid cold liquid" for my shop. Would Bud Lite count?

I would suggest seeing if Devin Thomas would either chime in here or give him a call. I believe he is the AEB-L heat-treating expert in the knife-world.
    -M
    I'm trying my best to not bother that man any more. I still want to spend a few days at his side and don't want to wear out all of the questions I'm allowed before then.

To be clear, this thread is about a publicly available heat treat formula for AEB-L. It is in no way an attempt to pry out trade secrets from any one. I've never heat treated anything myself and I'm trying to figure out how to do it and what different things do and such. If I wanted someones specific formula for a heat treat, I'd call them and ask if they'd give it to me. However, in my situation I don't feel that's the right thing to do. If anyone wants to publicly reply to this thread with help for me, I welcome that help with open arms. If they don't, I'm good with that too. If someone would like to send me a private message for the same reasons, I'm good with that too of course.

Sorry if this has caused anyone any stress.

That sounds like someone got really upset. I'm an outsider, and I'd like to say that this didn't look to me like Adam asking for anyone's trade secrets or guarded knowledge. Nobody is going to fault makers, smiths, or otherwise for telling people some information is top secret.

I don't think anyone got upset. I just think Adam is making sure the knife makers here don't feel any pressure to give any info they don't want to give up. Kind of like when everyone was pressuring Dave on who manufactured his 10K stone on KF.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

lol I heard about, but missed that one. It's really silly to take things that far. TELL US WHO IT IS! HOW DID YOU HEAT TREAT THIS BLADE?! HOW DO YOU DO SUCH GOOD WORK?!

Reminds me of this:

No one's upset that I know.