Pulled the trigger - Gesshin Uraku 240mm SS

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexG

Reaction score
With your recommendations and talking with Jon I finally pulled the trigger on a knife! It is unfortunately in the mail and the waiting is hell! :D
I got a King combo whetstone with it, too!

Just a quick question, I read on a few places while lurking the forums that they come in a really RIGHT-HANDED BIAS.

I had mentionned I was left-handed and after seeing this made me wonder:

- Is this a big deal
- Can I make it work with whetstones ( I will learn to sharpen when package gets here!)

Thanks so much for your help in my venture into Japanese knives! I will post pictures when everything gets here!

Alex

It is not a big deal. You can fix it on the stones if you like but I would recommend getting a very low grit stone for that. Doing that on a 1k would suck. Also I would recommend learning to sharpen on a beater knife before you hit your nice knife on the stones.

Also in the future I am sure Jon would have done that conversion for you.

Enjoy your new knife.

In all honesty, Jon gave me the best info, answered to ALL my questions and gave me customer service to die for. I didn't force the lefty thing because I was sure(for an unknown reason) it came 50/50!

Thanks for your insight. I will definitely learn to sharpen on my Faberware **** knives. I have a bunch of Chef Tony's knives I got as a gift a while back but they all have a weird serrated blade so I can't sharpen them!

Thank you and will post picture fore sure, I CAN'T wait :D

I wish I knew... I could have sharpened it differently before shipping... Sorry about that

Also please make sure you know what you are doing before you start removing a lot of metal. If you do convert it over to a 50/50 or lefty grind you will also need to do a lot of thinning.

I wish I knew... I could have sharpened it differently before shipping... Sorry about that

Thanks, it is really my bad. :/ I should never assume things.

Still hyped but a little sad. If I do get it sharpen here, what would be an ok price to pay for it to be transform into a 50/50 or lefty?

I am sure that is different from person to person. I think Jon would be the best person for this at the moment, especially considering that it is a brand new knife from his shop.

Also I don't think it is a game ender if your choose not to get it re-beveled. Don't fret. Talk with Jon and see what options you have

if you are ok with the price of shipping, i would do it for you for free... but international shipping isnt cheap (even to canada)

I will check for prices here and when it gets dull and I need something else I might go that route. Because as you stated, 2x shipping isn't cheap! Thanks so much Jon. Again, my bad!

greasedbullet, than you also for your quick chime-ins! Really appreciate it.

I will update the thread later this week and the next when the knife comes around!

Back