Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Slang

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post

The stick thingy for cleaning the fryer= abortion stick.

We call ours "the abuser" or "ze abusssar" - German accent.

We also put a golf club grip on it.... Win.

dardeau - i was in tears of laughter after reading that, hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
    'Crop Dusting' = Farting while walking past as tables in the dining room
    Same as airline flight attendants when going up an down aisles.

I shoulda been a chef. I could talk dirty all day long and no one would think anything of it lol

A little OT: why do you guys say "oui"? Why not just "yes"? I remember a very annoying episode of Top Chef masters where everyone was saying "oui". It was constantly "oui chef, oui chef, oui chef" and the chef would say it questionly, "oui?", and they would answer "oui chef"! Ugh. By the end of the episode I couldn't wait for the little piggies to "oui" themselves home.

Quote Originally Posted by Erilyn75 View Post
    I shoulda been a chef. I could talk dirty all day long and no one would think anything of it lol

A little OT: why do you guys say "oui"? Why not just "yes"? I remember a very annoying episode of Top Chef masters where everyone was saying "oui". It was constantly "oui chef, oui chef, oui chef" and the chef would say it questionly, "oui?", and they would answer "oui chef"! Ugh. By the end of the episode I couldn't wait for the little piggies to "oui" themselves home.
    Originates from the French revolutionising the way kitchens work... The whole brigade system / army like structure.
    Think of it like... Yes Drill sergeant!
    We don't all say it. A lot of people would think its weird. But in every high end place I've worked they say it. And when one of the best chefs in your state shouts out an order at you you have all of 0.1 seconds to shout oui or your ass is his.
    It's just the way it is. But in more relaxed restaurants everyone says yes.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Never worked anywhere that "oui" is required. Some of the guys say it, but I think they've watched too much TV.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Family meal = hog trough

Someone who always gets out of assigned tasks = ninja

Water for cooking = "some high quality h2o"
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Alright I'll throw in..

Chingone- (written phrenetical, is Spanish) short for bad A$$ or boss man

Whay- also phrenetical for Spanish spelling, general term for every person out there, like saying "man" or "dude" in English

Coneho - short for a squirrelly quick moving line cook. It means rabbit in Spanish.

Oie. As stated before has to be said as sarcastically as possible to other line cooks, and as quick and confident to boss man.

I also have a habit for picking out which one of my line cooks are which dinosaur from "land before time" the children's Disney movie from way back.

"Your mom" is always a line for anything, especially if I'm in the weeds.

Never worked anywhere that required 'oui'. Typically it's 'heard' in the places I've been.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I have a tendency to add 'so hard' to the end of many phrases.

Fish is working....
    Right behind you....
    Coming down line....

I am a child.

I also have stock responses pre loaded so people can't tell when I am not paying attention to what they are saying. These are:

Yeah buddy!
    You know that's right.
    These days?
    In this economy!?

If you hear me say one of these things there is little to no chance I could repeat what you just said to me. I say these things all the time.

I made up an Italian word that I use as an answer to any dumb Italian geographic or ingredient question. It is Brodoggio. In an Italian accent it sounds fancy. In regular old Americano it is pronounced 'bro dog, yo'.

I have already started using the chefuccino for abandoned coffee drinks. I like that one a lot.
    'I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.' Woody Allen