Quantcast
What is your favorite parering knife? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite parering knife?

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I've had both style Ealy's. I like the newer style better. I have a Lefty/ Lloyd collaboration, which I really like. The steel is amazing. The pointy tip is nice.

But, the best all around'er I've ever used is a Zwilling Kramer. Just feels right in-hand.

For the money , I would buy a Kyocera. Dojo used to be great at sub forty bucks but at $65 now, it's outclassed.
    Can you tell me what is the thickness of the Kramer?

Quote Originally Posted by vlad8 View Post
    do you know where i can see or buy this ?
    There are a couple threads in Lefty's section of the forum (Sharp and Shiny Shop). He's done a couple small batches, and demand is exceeding supply, but there's always a chance.

There are a couple threads in Lefty's section of the forum (Sharp and Shiny Shop). He's done a couple small batches, and demand is exceeding supply, but there's always a chance.
    I offered my first born, a back rub, and an open mouth kiss and couldn't get one. Best of luck.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I offered my first born, a back rub, and an open mouth kiss and couldn't get one. Best of luck.
    Hmmm, sounds like you're still holding out on him, and I bet he knows it!

Maybe people should send him a PM to encourage him to try to do more. I think Butch is pretty busy with other things, and that's the main difficulty with making a bunch more, but if people encourage them to do more, maybe they will.

Ill second the z Kramer i have a carbon one and love it

I have two: Herder "Windmühlenmesser" 3.3" Paring Knife and a T-I Sabatier Nogent 3" Paring Knife. The Herder is flat edged w/sheep's foot pattern. The T-I is your classical triangular shape. The Herder absolutely excels at peeling and the T-I for everything else.

Current fashion dictates that paring knives are out and petties in, but I wonder if this has more to do with the fact that not many Japanese companies produce paring knives. I ditched my utility/petty knives a while ago because I find them the most redundant knives in the typical kitchen (next to the slicer*). Some say they prefer the extra length afforded by the petty, but I prefer the nimbleness of the paring knife even for tasks such as breaking down chicken. I don't find the extra length advantageous for this task. I've field dressed elk with a 3 1/2 inch drop point, and most field "bird knives" are 3-4" in length

*regarding my slicer comment, I do find them more useful as a specialized knife, but in a typical western kitchen (professional or not), a chef's knife does everything a slicer does and you don't have to switch out/wash an extra knife. If I am doing a lot of slicing, then it is usually because I am breaking down a whole animal (usually game), and for that I have my butcher knives.

After owning many different knives/patterns I've come to realize that the classic chef's/paring combo will cover all my needs on the board for food prep. I also have a bread knife, which gets a lot of use.

I think Butch is sitting on one or two extra parers. At least he was when I picked up my neck knife...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I think nothing beats the Kato. It feels like a 150mm kitchen scalpel. The pointy and very thin tip makes it work very well when 'cleaning' meat as well as veg.

Really digging my Ealy new style paring knife. I also have a Menefee custom that while it has a very thick grind it does a great job at pull cuts without taking my thumb off.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I think Butch is sitting on one or two extra parers. At least he was when I picked up my neck knife...
    Not any more. Looks like nobody has them right now and the carbon kramer is not for my wife.