What is your favorite parering knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlad8

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting Blazen. My wife likes to cut apples with the pairing knife and I am looking for something thin that does not wedge.

I have a shun Ken onion paring knife so I can't provide any helpful information lol. Wouldn't even have that if amazon didn't have it on for 40 bucks a while back :)

I should get a real one soon lol

I don't have any good suggestions but thanks for posting this as I was somewhat wondering the same. My partner uses an Opinel inox parer that is very thin but holds an edge terribly; I bought an Ealy parer in part for her to use but it's too thick for her liking...I should have asked about thinner parers.

Misono fruit knife. $25 at Korin. Most used knife in my house and stays sharp for a long time.

My partner uses a Robert Herder parer. She uses the stainless version, but a carbon version is also available (and a harder version as well). On the stainless, the edge retention isn't very good but a couple of swipes on a ceramic rod bring the edge back quickly. I myself use a carbon Opinel folder with which I am pleased.

Lefty's designed Butch Harner XHP parer... nuff said.

I've had both style Ealy's. I like the newer style better. I have a Lefty/ Lloyd collaboration, which I really like. The steel is amazing. The pointy tip is nice.

But, the best all around'er I've ever used is a Zwilling Kramer. Just feels right in-hand.

For the money , I would buy a Kyocera. Dojo used to be great at sub forty bucks but at $65 now, it's outclassed.

I've got a trio, and its hard to pick from the three. I basically just rotate between them they all do a super nice job. Of course, there's a bit of wait to get any of them.
Top to bottom: Scott McGhee, Guinea Hog Forge, O1 with ivory micarta
Nick Wheeler, )O1 with Cocobolo
Michael Rader, CruForge V integral Wa, Curly Maple/Maple burl

I use a Robert Herder carbon peeler, and Misono Swedish and Hiromoto G3 150mm petties. No need for a parer.
Please note a peeler has an inversed geometry.

I have multiple sab's and the zk - zk all the way. I would really like to try out a Del at some point though.

Early Ealy birds beak. Very much, and by far. Bought his new style and it just wasnt the same, so sent it off to a soldier stationed in Japan as a Christmas gift, and he really loves it. The earlier ones are snubbier and beefier and are really badass. Cant wait to try out Kato Workhorse paring when Maxim gets the shipment, that steel is amazeballs.

Early Ealy birds beak. Very much, and by far. Bought his new style and it just wasnt the same, so sent it off to a soldier stationed in Japan as a Christmas gift, and he really loves it. The earlier ones are snubbier and beefier and are really badass. Cant wait to try out Kato Workhorse paring when Maxim gets the shipment, that steel is amazeballs.
Thought the OP wanted a thinner knife. Ealy new style is a wedger...don't know about old ones.

Yoshikane V2 with burnt chestnut octagonal handle from Maxim. Win.

Y'all are gonna laugh- Spyderco paring knife. What can I say, I like how it feels in my hand. :)

An Eden VG10 parer. Best £25 I ever spent

IMAG0349.jpg

New style Ealy is seeing a lot of use since it showed up. Needs a little bit of thinning but it still cuts great as-is and feels perfect in the hand for paring duties.

I've had both style Ealy's. I like the newer style better. I have a Lefty/ Lloyd collaboration, which I really like. The steel is amazing. The pointy tip is nice.

But, the best all around'er I've ever used is a Zwilling Kramer. Just feels right in-hand.

For the money , I would buy a Kyocera. Dojo used to be great at sub forty bucks but at $65 now, it's outclassed.

Can you tell me what is the thickness of the Kramer?

There are a couple threads in Lefty's section of the forum (Sharp and Shiny Shop). He's done a couple small batches, and demand is exceeding supply, but there's always a chance.

I offered my first born, a back rub, and an open mouth kiss and couldn't get one. Best of luck.

I offered my first born, a back rub, and an open mouth kiss and couldn't get one. Best of luck.

Hmmm, sounds like you're still holding out on him, and I bet he knows it! :wink:

Maybe people should send him a PM to encourage him to try to do more. I think Butch is pretty busy with other things, and that's the main difficulty with making a bunch more, but if people encourage them to do more, maybe they will.

Ill second the z Kramer i have a carbon one and love it

I have two: Herder "Windmühlenmesser" 3.3" Paring Knife and a T-I Sabatier Nogent 3" Paring Knife. The Herder is flat edged w/sheep's foot pattern. The T-I is your classical triangular shape. The Herder absolutely excels at peeling and the T-I for everything else.

Current fashion dictates that paring knives are out and petties in, but I wonder if this has more to do with the fact that not many Japanese companies produce paring knives. I ditched my utility/petty knives a while ago because I find them the most redundant knives in the typical kitchen (next to the slicer*). Some say they prefer the extra length afforded by the petty, but I prefer the nimbleness of the paring knife even for tasks such as breaking down chicken. I don't find the extra length advantageous for this task. I've field dressed elk with a 3 1/2 inch drop point, and most field "bird knives" are 3-4" in length

*regarding my slicer comment, I do find them more useful as a specialized knife, but in a typical western kitchen (professional or not), a chef's knife does everything a slicer does and you don't have to switch out/wash an extra knife. If I am doing a lot of slicing, then it is usually because I am breaking down a whole animal (usually game), and for that I have my butcher knives.

After owning many different knives/patterns I've come to realize that the classic chef's/paring combo will cover all my needs on the board for food prep. I also have a bread knife, which gets a lot of use.

I think Butch is sitting on one or two extra parers. At least he was when I picked up my neck knife...

Really digging my Ealy new style paring knife. I also have a Menefee custom that while it has a very thick grind it does a great job at pull cuts without taking my thumb off.

image_zps189cc71e.jpg

DSC_0871.jpg

I think Butch is sitting on one or two extra parers. At least he was when I picked up my neck knife...

Not any more. Looks like nobody has them right now and the carbon kramer is not for my wife.

Latest posts

Back