Quantcast
[Cutting Boards] End vs. Edge
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Cutting Boards] End vs. Edge

[Cutting Boards] End vs. Edge

I've read some of the end grain discussions here. Let's have a comparison discussion.

I just purchased my first large solid maple cutting board. It's an edge grain board. Beautiful and of the highest quality. I've since began to wonder if a board with end grain construction will help save my knife's edge, and to what degree of difference it will truly make.

My theory is this: A high quality edge grain board will outperform any lower quality end grain board. Is the upgrade worth it? End grain construction is decisively more expensive.

Anyone with experience with both?

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I have used many types of boards I love my BoardSmith. He also explains about the difference between the two. here
    http://theboardsmith.com/boardsmith-faqs/

I think your theory is a little off. The differences in high quality and low will have something to do with the glue that is used, and weather or not the wood has checks in it. Not counting the time difference between the labor.
    Chewie's the man.

Boardsmith is the gold standard. A lot of people on the forum have these boards, myself included. Excellent craftsmanship and durability, and always end grain.

I have two Boardsmith, an 18x24 maple, and 16x22 walnut. Besides the benefit to your edge life they feel like nothing else when cutting. Firm, yet forgiving. No slippiness like a poly board, and no sticking like a sani-tuff. Oh- and they're fecking beautiful.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

My experience disproves your theory, unless you are talking about end-grain bamboo.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    My experience disproves your theory, unless you are talking about end-grain bamboo.
    Well I suppose that's a good thing? Ha.

Boardsmith does great work, I love everything over there. But the price is likely out of my budget. May have to look at Michigan Maple end grain.

Not knowing anything one way or the other about Michigan Maple, I will say I've had lots of cutting boards come apart or damage my knives. It's worth saving up for a Boardsmith, which will last you a lifetime if you take proper care of it.

^What he said.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by eighteesix View Post
    Well I suppose that's a good thing? Ha.

Boardsmith does great work, I love everything over there. But the price is likely out of my budget. May have to look at Michigan Maple end grain.
    A BoardSMITH board will last you the rest of your life. My suggestion is to save up to get one, rather than settle for second-best. Your new edge-grain board will serve until you can buy a BoardSMITH. Your knives are not going to "chip and shatter", you just will have to strop and sharpen a little more often.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

I have an end grain Boardsmith at home. I work on 65 y.o. edge grain at work. As much as I love my boardsmith I much prefer cutting at work.

+ Reply to Thread