Quantcast
Sharpness question from a newbie - tomato problems - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpness question from a newbie - tomato problems

Craig I like 2K's also.Wore down my Gesshin 2K.Cherry Japan imports here carries whetstones & knives.Got a sale price on my first Shapton stone a 2K green.Never had a splash & go stone before.I can see how people like these.I like the feedback of Bester & Gesshin stones,didn't know if I would like the shapton.After putting nice edges on 5 carbon knives no problem,deburred on stone as well.Newspaper finish.

I think this Shapton would make a good touch up stone for Gyuto's at work.It is compact,does not need soaking,& can refreash a blade in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Am I in error?
    I would agree.. Over polished would push cut but not slice.... Right?

Also can I point out the OP is talking about
    over ripe tomatoes not tomatoes. My gyuto certainly doesn't slice very soft tomatoes as effortlessly as it does firmer ones...

I've found that an over polished and/or rounded edge, under it's own weight, will sit on the tomato's surface until a slicing movement is made and then it falls through. A really crisp and/or toothy edge, under it's own weight, pierces the tomato's skin as soon as it makes contact.

Using standard white copy paper, rounded and/or polished edges will not push cut straight down unless slicing movement is made. Crisp and/or toothy edges begin to cut on contact with no slicing motion.

This is just what I've seen, I'd like to hear what you guys have found.

What do you mean by rounded?I think of rounded as losing your crisp edge with incorrect technique.Eg.over aggressive burr removal,sloppy strop,wailing away on steel rod.

For Gyuto's like crisp medium grit edge.Yanagi's polishing stone 4 or 5K enough.Have used 8K.

An edge can get rounded in all those ways as well as simply by using chromium oxide on a strop. Sharp as hell but won't push cut.

Dave: I thought it would be the opposite?
    I.e the toothy edge should need a slicing action and the polished should push cut straight down through paper?
    If I'm wrong please elaborate!

I've found my gyuto when finished at 5k then stropped on newspaper push cuts paper.
    But a petty used for trimming meat finished at 1k will only slice the paper.

If I'm wrong then I am very confused so please elaborate! Obviously you know more than I most likely ever will...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    An edge can get rounded in all those ways as well as simply by using chromium oxide on a strop. Sharp as hell but won't push cut.

Dave, how would stropping with chromium oxide round the edge? Do you mean incorrect stropping like lifting the spine at the end of the stropping stroke instead of lifting the entire blade?

Quote Originally Posted by Geo87 View Post
    Dave: I thought it would be the opposite?
    I.e the toothy edge should need a slicing action and the polished should push cut straight down through paper?
    If I'm wrong please elaborate!

I've found my gyuto when finished at 5k then stropped on newspaper push cuts paper.
    But a petty used for trimming meat finished at 1k will only slice the paper.

If I'm wrong then I am very confused so please elaborate! Obviously you know more than I most likely ever will...

You should consider wire edges, as in you may be using them to cut with. Newspaper stropping is good for re-aligning a wire edge and a 1k stone leaves a decent wire and/or burrs. Sound to me that you didn't finish sharpening.

I appreciate your input on this, hopefully more people will jump in too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sambal View Post
    Dave, how would stropping with chromium oxide round the edge? Do you mean incorrect stropping like lifting the spine at the end of the stropping stroke instead of lifting the entire blade?

Chromium oxide particles are round like spheres and tend to smooth an edge to the point of slippery from what I assume to be the action of rolling over the apex if the edge. In contrast, diamond particles are blocky & sharp and scratch at the apex making little micro-teeth.

Incorrect technique isn't what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I know nobody seems to like it but I still use chromium oxide all the time for stropping. I've tried many diamond compounds and they just don't seem to have as much of an effect as the green stuff does for me
    "There are 2 mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way and not starting"