Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sharpness question from a newbie - tomato problems

Honestly I think your biggest problem is that you deburred with cork and then went on to go cut something (If I read your post correctly). After you deburr you should go back to your highest stone and do a few edge tailing strokes very lightly. This will leave you with a burr free, stupid sharp edge that should cut most things very well if not everything.

This is the video (one of them) I learned to sharpen with. He starts deburring around the 6:15 mark. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozZF2EgnYm0

Have fun.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    When combined these two factors make for a sharp but slick edge, an edge that will slice but not push cut.
    I would expect an overpolished edge to be fine with push cutting, and poor with slicing.

for what its worth, his finishing stone is 6k... hardly overpolished. I finish many knives at 6k with no problems. I really dont think the grit is the issue, but rather technique- angle consistency, burr removal, etc.

i alway sharpen my knife and end with a 6k or 8k stone and is alway overpolished but they still cut through tomato like crazy, actual i use tomato to test if the knife is sharp enough

a properly sharpened 6k edge should slice tomatoes fine, youre probably not spending enough time on your lower grits before you progress.

I recommend that you get a loupe or pocket microscope and take a look at your edge. I have something similar to the Carson MM-200. With that you should be able to see if you have multiple bevels or a folded burr fairly easily.

If I want to cut tomatoes for production I'll use a toothy edge. For a video that has people scratching their heads I go super refined.
    Big dif.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I would expect an overpolished edge to be fine with push cutting, and poor with slicing.
    Am I in error?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    If I want to cut tomatoes for production I'll use a toothy edge. For a video that has people scratching their heads I go super refined.
    Big dif.
    Totally agree cut cases of tomato's wt. 1K edge carbon steel.

yeah for slicing tomatoes and cooked protiens i like 2k edge no doubt, but if youre having trouble slicing tomatoes there is definitely a problem with sharpening technique regardless of the finishing stone grit whether its 1k,2k or 6k.