Re heat treatment on vintage knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoublestack

Reaction score
Is it possible to do a fresh "re heat" treatment on say vintage carbon steel knives, to increase edge retention, raise hrc?

Theoretically yet, The heat treatment of any steel can always be improved. Practically not really. The knife has already been ground very thin and there could be some serious warping from the heat treatments. The straightening of the blade would be a nightmare and pretty prohibitive to anyone but a master.
Even if it could be done, the particular steel might not necessarily perform much better at higher HRCs because of embrittlement.
After the HT and tempering cycle the edge of a fully thinned kitchen knife would probably look like spaghetti

It might be possible to turn a chef's knife into a slicer however by bringing the edge back before HT, thus thickening the edge and lessening the warping. The knife would then have to be reground after HT in order to thin it back out

I'm pretty sure. IIRC, Marko talked about a way to do this a while back. I've thought about this before using a conventional oven, but have never tried it and don't know enough any way. I wouldn't have a way to test the HRC afterward.

Marko was talking about tempering an over-hardened knife, I believe.

Heat treating for me has always been one of the most critical factors in making knives, and I have spent many years at it and I am very good at it. Reheat treating a finished kitchen knife would be very difficult, beyond my ability. It is most likely that the edge will be crinkled, and not be able to be straightened.
Thanks,
Del

Back