Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible or even desirable to clean a leather strop?

Possible or even desirable to clean a leather strop?

Is it possible to clean a leather strop? I applied .25 micron diamond spray to a Hand American leather strop and it dramatically improved the "grab" of the strop but it has since become loaded with use and no longer grabs evenly. An analogy to this problem would be that it is kind of like when a fine stone gets loaded with metal swarf and you remove it with a nagura. Is there any way to do this to leather?

I've tried a bunch of things including WD40. I've gotten the best results with waterless hand cleaner or saddle soap.

if you use lighter fluid, it will remove anything clogging the leather and then evaporate. Sometimes this dries the leather out though so it might be a good idea to get some leather conditioner to apply after the lighter fluid dries

Smooth or textured leather?

If it's smooth then waterless hand cleaner is the answer. If it's textured then I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

If it's smooth then waterless hand cleaner is the answer. If it's textured then I have no idea.
    I suppose washing it with alcohol and a fine brush wld help. Soaking it in alcohol too can be considered. Oiling it with mineral oil shld restpre its suppleness.

Tried a few times with Horse hide. I have taken the cow hide route adn they are cheap enough to replace and in use mainly the raw hide side.

Have fun....
    d

Saddle soap?

Cheers,
    Pete
    Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

Saddle soap used as a soap will work well(although most saddle soaps are marketed as one-step cleaner-conditioners, and so you're not removing any of the grime/buildup/steel grit from the leather). Condition with pure neatsfoot oil. You don't want anything too waxy, as it will change the draw of the leather.

The above will work for both slick and rough side leather. The caveat being, of course, that anything you put on rough(flesh) side leather is going to change its feel. Soap, oil, leather cream, etc. will change the feel and draw of roughout leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post

What Dave said...and saddle soap for smooth.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I use the wax mix that Dave sells on my strop it works very well , and on cutting boards , knife blades and many other things .

Might check out Bickmore leather products. They've been around forever and make a few different products for cleaning, conditioning leathers. Best I've come across. Pretty sure one of their products specifically works on roughout leathers and their standard cleaner and conditioner is amazing stuff on smooth.