Swedish Steel - where from?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I understand all the fuzz about swedish steel, Sweden has a long history in the steel industry and a very good reputation.

My question is, is it possible to say which iron ore mine a certain swedish steel came from? I have seen Kiruna iron ore mine and I own some knives made of Swedish steel, such as Misono Dragon, DT ITK AEB-L, Shigefusa...

How many iron ore mines are there in Sweden?

Hi daddy
This is almost impossible to tell. Those steels you are refering to are made by big international swedish companies (Uddenholm or sandwick i guess) and the steel mill is located in sweden. But that does in no way means, that they are soley using swedish ore or other ingrediences. I dont even think, they process the raw ore themself. They will be (most likely) buy pre-processed, standardised iron, from anywhere in the world.

Greets B

Of the often talked about stainless steels, AEB-L is made by Uddeholm, 13C26 is Sandvik's designation for the same composition. 19C27 is also made by Sandvik.

During the golden age of steelmaking in Sheffield, Swedish ore was used extensively.

Latest posts

Back