Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for inexpensive 270mm WA-Gyuto

Advice for inexpensive 270mm WA-Gyuto

Hello,

I am looking for a good and inexpensive (not "cheap") 270mm WA-Gyuto. I wanna try to see if I am more comfortable with it as with my 240mm Gyutos. Important is a more or less thin profile but it does not have to be a "Laser". If I am comfortable with the size it will be my everyday knife while I will probably buy a more high-end Gyuto for extended and relaxed cooking sessions.
    As I don´t have a white steel knife yet I would like to try this steel, but I am fine with other carbon steels or (semi-)stainless as well as long as it is easy to sharpen and takes a good edge.
    And I would like a WA-handle. Looks much better in my opinion and I feel comfortable with this type of handle on my other knifes as well.

Pricerange: About 200€

I've read good reviews about the Yusuke Knives, but I haven't found a shop selling a 270mm at the moment.

I also would prefer to buy in Europe or direct in Japan as it makes no sense to ship items from Japan to the US and then to Europe from an ecological point of few.

Questionaire below.

Please excuse anny grammar errors, english is not my native language.
    Greetings from Austria
    Stefan

Austria/Europe

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    WA-Gyuto 270mm

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Japanese WA-handles

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    270mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    no, but can be
    What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    200€

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home use

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    90% veggetables, 10% meat

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    240mm WA-Gyuto

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Chopping, drawing, slicing

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    Just wanna try a knife with a little extra length

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
    F&F does not have to be perfect. Handle should be with Horn-ferrule. No need for layered steel

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
    Knife should have a more or less thin profile. Does not have to be a "Laser" (but can be).

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
    Should be easy to sharpen. Also want to try white steel

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
    2 Weeks with normal home use (3-4 meals a week, everydays cutting)

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo (no) , wood (yes - cherry wood boards), rubber (no), or synthetic (yes - for meat only) cutting board?

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (no)

270 narrows things down a little bit in your price range

Since you are in the EU:

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...70mm-wa-gyuto/

Would be my choice.

The Hattori FH is a well respected VG-10 knife which is also in budget. Also the JCK Swedish Stainless if you wanted a laser.

Sure others will offer some other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post

Since you are in the EU:

Would be my choice.

The Hattori FH is a well respected VG-10 knife which is also in budget. Also the JCK Swedish Stainless if you wanted a laser.

That is 30% above his budget with VAT.

Since you are in the EU:

Would be my choice.

Thanks a lot,
    I already have the Itinomonn on my radar. Of course I could invest the little extra amount, but then there would be the question if I should not invest even more and already buy the Tadatsuna Wa Gyuto 270mm White II from Aframes....So at first I want to look if there is something really within the 200€ range to see if I am comfortable.
    Wrote an email to the Bluewayjapan store on Ebay to see if he can provide a 270mm Gyuto as well (none listed there at the moment).

Hattori and JCK are only available with western handles unfortunately.

I know that it's not easy. But if its easy then I wouldn't have to ask here, right? ;-). And I am not in a hurry, so time is on my side.

Greetings
    Stefan

My bad. Was in gbp...

Hattori FH is also available in wa, the original knives were ho, but there is also a rosewood handled version too iirc.

My bad. Was in gbp...

Hattori FH is also available in wa, the original knives were ho, but there is also a rosewood handled version too iirc.
    Thanks, didn't see the WA versions of the FH line. I should have scrolled down as well . It's on my list already!

Hattori and JCK are only available with western handles unfortunately.
    JCK FuRinKaZan series have 270 wa gyuto in Swedish stainless. But I have yet to see someone admitting to buying one or giving a performance review.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzardborn View Post
    JCK FuRinKaZan series have 270 wa gyuto in Swedish stainless. But I have yet to see someone admitting to buying one or giving a performance review.
    +1 on the list.

But as I said, I would prefer white steel.
    Found the Ashi Hamono Ginga brand which looks quite good at a very reasonable price both in carbon and stainless. Any thoughts on that one?

Servus!

This Forum is a fantastic place, you might even find someone who would lend his 270 wa-gyuto to you.

My personal approach would be to either borrow a knife from somebody to find out whether or not you like that length, or purchase smth sweet that you want to keep in case you like it. I wouldn't buy smth cheapish to find out if you like the size. You might sell smth sweet easier here than smth cheap.

I don't have a 270, BTW.

Koki is a top vendor, i'm sure the JCK knife isn't a step change from a Yusuke/Konosuke/Ichimonji/(insert Sakai brand "laser" gyuto here). Gonna be an OEM knife.