• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

suggestion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrmnms

Reaction score
It may sound obvious, but I suggest that guys shipping sold knives, or pass around knives, pack them like they'd want to receive them. Wrap them well and protect the tip for sure. Some guys use a piece of cork or cardboard and painters tape for the tip. There should be no movement in the box. Looking at another small repair after receiving a knife with the blade tip poking through the side of the box.

It may sound obvious, but I suggest that guys shipping sold knives, or pass around knives, pack them like they'd want to receive them. Wrap them well and protect the tip for sure. Some guys use a piece of cork or cardboard and painters tape for the tip. There should be no movement in the box. Looking at another small repair after receiving a knife with the blade tip poking through the side of the box.

What this guy said! At the very least make an impromptu saya from some old boxes laying around and duct tape.

yep, should atleast make a cheap saya with cardboard and tape, so the blade or tip wont get chiped and the just throw in some newpaper to mke sure there are no movement. simple and easy

:plus1: :goodpost: YES to all of the above! Just imagine if the USPS or UPS carrier was to get stabbed with the protruding tip...... that would lead to a world of trouble nobody want's to deal with!

:plus1: :goodpost: YES to all of the above! Just imagine if the USPS or UPS carrier was to get stabbed with the protruding tip...... that would lead to a world of trouble nobody want's to deal with!

:eek: now getting stab by the tip, dont know if it funny or sad:D

I typically use the cardboard saya route and then bubblewrap the knife box. The hard part is finding a reasonable sized box that fits a knife. I typically end up shipping a knife in a monster size box because I can't find a small one. The larger Priority Mail boxes seem to be good for knives up to 240mm depending on how big the original box is.

Actually, I think the triangular tubes that are "small" will fit even a long knife, and have reasonable shipping costs (I think it's $5.80 or so). My post office doesn't always have them, though.

I think some of the ideas here should be part of a sticky for B/S/T.

Actually, I think the triangular tubes that are "small" will fit even a long knife, and have reasonable shipping costs (I think it's $5.80 or so). My post office doesn't always have them, though.

I think some of the ideas here should be part of a sticky for B/S/T.

You can order them online at USPS and get them delivered for free.

I also lube the knife with mineral oil; handle, blade, saya...everything. I've had a few knives show up with rust spots through transit. Plastic bubbles probably aren't the best at keeping moisture in check...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back