Quantcast
Like? or Dislike? opinions needed - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Like? or Dislike? opinions needed

I think it is ok for first rehandling projects or maybe on a entry level kuro uchi or a workhorse knife than your higher quality blades

I agree that it is not really that great for high-end handles or the "pros" but it would be outstanding for beginners or lower price knives. I can think of 1000 things I would use a low price stabilized block of wood for.

If you put out $10 or $15 maybe even $20 stabilized blocks of wood there could be a huge market for them. I don't care if they were originally 2x4's. When the cooks I work with want their fish spats or crap knives rehandled because they don't want to get new ones I could use that since they think paying $40+ dollars for wood is stupid. There are also inumeral projects I could use it for and of course trying things I've never done before.

In short. It is not very pretty but there is a large market and variety of uses for not-incredibly beautiful stabilized wood. Just remember keep it affordable. For this you will make your money through volume.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

I agree with having a potential market for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dislike.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBoar View Post
    Honestly, I'd like it better if it did not have the figure. It has too much going on to be understated, and not enough to be cool-looking.
    This is how I feel.

Mark, can you cut it in size suitable for making sayas? I want to try my hands making saya and this wood looks perfect for the task

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Mark, can you cut it in size suitable for making sayas? I want to try my hands making saya and this wood looks perfect for the task
    I was considering it as saya material as well. If I do, I will let you know.
    The figure looks a lot better over a larger area.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store