Quantcast
Great Experience in Asakusabahi!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great Experience in Asakusabahi!

Great Experience in Asakusabahi!

Living in central Tokyo I cycle around extensively and see a lot interesting things. Many years ago I spotted a small knife shop in Asakusabashi that looked interesting, but couldn't go in because it was closed due to holidays. It's tucked in a little out of the way spot so I forgot about it for several years, but during my research into Kato-san (Fujiwara Yoshiaki) recently it flashed back up on my radar. Again, on several attempts I had problems with it being closed due to various reasons, but today I was finally able to go in. The name of the shop is Morihei which may already be familiar to some of you (Maxim?). What looked like a small unassuming shop from the outside gave way to a much bigger store inside. After looking around and talking with a female staff member for 10-15 minutes and telling her about my interest in kitchen knives, straight razors and my ongoing martial arts studies, she asked me to wait a minute. Shortly she returned with the Morihei president, Mr. Oguro. We began to talk a bit and he seemed to take a liking to me and invited me upstairs. All I can say is WOW! I am not (yet) a Japanese natural stone guy, but what an amazing collection!! After showing me that, he brought me into his private office and proceeded to go into is vault and bring out an amazing very wide beveled yanagiba that he explained was made by Kato Kiyoshi-san's father. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't think to take any photos of the knife. In my defense, I was caught up in the moment and a bit surprised at the amazing hospitality Oguro-san displayed.

After talking a bit more, and returning to the first floor, I had to run. Before I left, Oguro-san asked if we could take a photo together, and then invited me back to do some sharpening with him, an offer I definitely intend to take him up on! Here are a few photos from the visit, please pardon my winter city cycling attire :

Fudoushin Bujinkan Dojo: http://fudoushin.com/

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Thanks for this. Very cool indeed.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Wow.... that was awesome.

Thanks for sharing.

Where is the store exactly, I'm in Tokyo for a few days and might visit it!

Awesome!

Great story. a Knife nuts dream come true.

Also I wonder how long that Gyuto is in the first shot over your left shoulder. thats a Zombie killer for sure
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by gic View Post
    Where is the store exactly, I'm in Tokyo for a few days and might visit it!
    It's located very close to Asakusabashi Station, HERE. There is also a map on the link above.

That looks amazing! I really like the look of the shop, as well. The black cabinet/drawers and the parquet floors really set off the whole feel. Damn, I want to own a place like that....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Oguro-san told me that the shop has been there for more than 80 years! And, the 2nd floor that I mentioned above is not the elevated area that you can see in the photo. Perhaps the area I'm referring to is technically the 3rd floor? In any event, there is an entire floor above what you see that is packed from wall to wall with natural stones. There are only some tiny spaces to walk between the stacks and stacks of them.

Thanks for sharing - that must have been a fantastic experience.

+ Reply to Thread