Top Japanese Makers/blacksmiths

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bear1889

Reaction score
I apologize ahead of time if this thread has been started before but I can't find one. Based upon personal opinion, who are the top 5 or 6 Japanese makers/smiths that are readily available in the US?

I have seen a thread on western knives but not one on Japanese gyutos.

The Japanese knife industry works very different form the western world. It would be much harder to name the "top" blacksmiths due to this.

Very subjective , especially if you throw in "readily available" criteria . If you look from craftsmanship side I am sure there are plenty great blacksmiths out there , even if I knew all of them one by one I wouldn't do a top 5 or 10 list.

Ok let's do it this way, in your opinion and personal ownership, who do you like? Is this possible to answer?

Impossible to say the top makers, but it's fair to say really good makers/brands. My list includes:

Shigefusa, Itinomonn, Konosuke Fujiyama, (based on reviews) Heiji, and for pure value Yamawaku.

When you mention value Lefty, it would be lot more complicated , lot of the big names had started as good value like Takeda , Watanabe or even Carter.If you were to paying $250 on Yamawaku I dont think it would be on the list though , hence I believe it is the reason you mention Itinomonn since it is a good value.
I agree on Shigefusa deserving a spot there

I can always count on Lefty to start things off. Thanks for your answers guys. This gives me some avenues to research.

In no particular order, disregarding cost and availability, and by no means a complete list;

Shigefusa, Yoshikane, Heiji, Yoshiaki Fujiwara Kato, Hide, Shiraki-san, Yusuke, Konosuke

In no particular order, disregarding cost and availability, and by no means a complete list;

Shigefusa, Yoshikane, Heiji, Yoshiaki Fujiwara Kato, Hide, Shiraki-san, Yusuke, Konosuke

I would add Teruyasu Fujiwara

I apologize ahead of time if this thread has been started before but I can't find one. Based upon personal opinion, who are the top 5 or 6 Japanese makers/smiths that are readily available in the US?

I have seen a thread on western knives but not one on Japanese gyutos.

as others have mentioned, it's a bit more complicated. You'd need to categorize the top smiths (and probably for a particular steel...), and then categorize the top sharpeners/polishers.

the lists that are getting put up include a combination of smiths, sharpeners, and single makers who do both. Very difficult.

I think we're just trying to throw out some reliably good places for high-end knives, out of Japan.

I would like to add the Zensho knives to my list, Alec.

Surprised no one has mentioned Keijiro Doi. Although he has retired I suppose.

Hinoura with sumingashi, Hattori with his KD line , I am sure Jin deserves a spot for his single bevels

Shigefusa, Heiji, Masamoto, Mizuno Tanrenjo, Yoshiaki Fujiwara (Kato)

What are the top 3 colors of all time as well? :)

I sometimes wonder if the growing but small NA variety in selection leads to a sort of circle jerk. I'm really thankful for vendors and makers who have expanded outside Japan, but what percentage of quality production are we seeing?

My Doi yanagi's are fast and pleasant to sharpen, give a good looking contrast, and balance bite and precision... Compared to others that I over polished or just didn't get. But I've used maybe 5-6 brands of single bevel knife ever so that's for what its worth.

What are the top 3 colors of all time as well? :)
Easy... the primary colors!

Regarding knives, while there are many skilled craftsman, Heiji and Kato (Fujiwara Yoshiaki) top my list. It's their unique geometry and top notch heat treatment that does it for me! I've got two Heiji's, a gyuto and petty, slated to arrive in 3-5 weeks, and am planning on getting a Kato in the spring.

My two favorite gyuto makers after trying many... Mizuno Tanrejo and Shigefusa.

Pretty much the stuff Maksim sells and add to that Takeda and for value for money I'd add Masakage.

I never had/used it, but I thought Suisin was well regarded.

Little surprised Nenohi wasn't mentioned.

I don't have personal experience with nenohi but I've always admired their high end stuff. Very classy, especially the handles.

I might get crucified for saying this, but I place a higher value (subjective judgment) on knives that are forged vs stock removal.

Latest posts

Back