Coastal Fungus

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Many of you know that the unusual colors in spalted maple comes from fungus colonies in the dead wood.
We got some spalted maple logs from the coastal area a little way north of us. We are cutting up the logs into slabs and I am getting some handle material from the skins (1st cut when milling).
This is a photo of one of the logs.
008_zps9c02e40d.jpg

I am taking pieces like this to cut into handle material.
002_zps41349631.jpg

When I cut it into blocks they look something like this.
004_zps2bc7dd9f.jpg

Hopefully I will get some pieces with the blue/gray spalting. It seems like the blueish spalting fungus occurs more in the wetter climates at the coast.

Now that looks really cool. I had no idea that fungus would color the wood like that. Learn something new every day.

Has some beautiful color tones in it... A mag block would look gorgeous. Whats it weight like Mark?

Has some beautiful color tones in it... A mag block would look gorgeous. Whats it weight like Mark?
The part I am using is still very solid. I am guessing the weight is about 80% of normal maple.
I will be cutting up a bunch more of this today, then drying and off to the stabilizers. When stabilized it will be a couple shades darker and the figure will be a lot more 3 dimensional.

Back