I need two knives: a nakiri + ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c0rnfed

Reaction score
Hi,
I have $100 saved up and want to buy two good knives, that can be used for most jobs in a kitchen. I currently have some cheap crappy stamped chinese knives, and they just dont cut it .... lol....
I definitely want a decent nakiri style knife. I am most comfortable with this style because i have been using it since i was 8-9. I use the nakiri like most would use a chef's knife.
Im not sure what other knife i should buy, but i do prefer both knives to be blue steel, white steel is also acceptable. Maybe i should get a chisel groud knife?

give me your recommendations guys I can probably fudge the budget to $150 but id rather stay in the $100 range if at all possible

I think for a companion to a nakiri, you'd want something with a point. I'm in a similar situation. I love my Chinese-style vegetable cleaver, but I need something for coring strawberries and tomatoes etc., and for little stuff. So, either a paring knife or a petty might work well. I currently have a blue steel Tanaka I like. I may make a new handle for it, though. What you might do is to try out one of the inexpensive white steel tosgata style knives at japan woodworker:
http://www.japanwoodworker.com/category/13198/country-style-tosagata.aspx
They'd be miles above your stamped Chinese knives, and could give you a feel for what style of knife you might like.

Tanaka Damascus nakiri is like $129 but the kurouchi is like $70.

what other brands should i look at that are in a similar price bracket?
are there any blue steel knives that can be purchase in a similar price?

Ive also seen some knives on ebay and would like to know if they are any good
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Japanese-GEK...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565ffc77d3&_uhb=1

is anyone familiar with this type of knife style, it kind of looks like a santoku to me

I can't speak for the Santoku style, but I purchased a 165mm petty from this line a while back, and find it to be absolutely wonderful. Plastic ferrule on the handle, but the proportions and wood composition of the handle are dynamite. Also takes a spectacular edge. Granted, this is my first wa and my first dabbling with blue steel, but it's become a constant fixture in my kit.

The Tanaka Kurouchi looks to have little better handle.Both the Tosagata & Gekko blue steel have those soft plastic collars,you can tell because the wood is wider than the collar so as not to scratch it.Often with cheaper carbons,the steel & blade are way better than the cheap handles.

Back