Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue patina

Blue patina

On the weekend i used the Singatirin Gyuto for the first time. I was all like, hey, let's go slow and just cut some meat, not some acidic vegetables at first. So, i prepared a nice big duck breast and started to cut it in thin slices. Almost as soon as i started slicing the blade started reacting and discoloring blue.

I looked around and found this thread:
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ew-knife/page3
    The patina looks like in the pictures on that page. Right now, i'm not sure if i like the looks. Some like such patina, to me it looks just like stained metal, still. Maybe it will grow on me though. I rinsed the blade under _very_ hot water after cooking. What started to build up while rinsing was small reddish dots (rust i guess), which i was almost completely able to remove with a green sponge. An interesting (to me) observation, when i apply Camellia oil, the patina is still visible, but fainter and the color is gone. It just looks darker than the rest of the blade. The color is back to blue once i wash off the oil with soap.

Is it possible to completely remove the patina again? Since it's not added material but the steel which reacted chemically i can think only of abrasives, but i'm asking still to be sure. I've read about a video from Jon about keeping a blade patina-free (for knives used for sushi?) but i've seen no link and could not find it.

Another question, the meat juices produced the patina but of course only on the spots the meat touched the blade. Did anyone cook medium rare meat and then tried to cut it and rub it on the whole blade surface, to have the blue patina develop all over the blade? How did that work out?

Cheers!

You can remove patina with a product called Flitz. There are a few ways but I find this the fastest and easiest way. Bar keepers friend also works.

Your can certainly produce a patina over the entire blade as you mention above. You can leave warm blood on the blade as well. There are a lot of things that will produce patina such as not vinegar among others. Any abrasive will remove the patina. The rougher the abrasive the more scratches it will put on your surface. I find fritz or simichrome polish do a fine job without scratching the surface. A good scrubbing with a scotch brite pad often works just as well depending on the patina.

Embrace the blue flames of patina caused by warm animal blood for the beauty that it is!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

just think of it as your own personal light saber.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Bar Keepers Friend work wonder when removing pating from the blade. Unfortunately you will have to do a touch up on the stone as most likely the process will dull the knife a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Embrace the blue flames of patina caused by warm animal blood for the beauty that it is!
    Amen to that!

maybe we should have a new rule: if metal reaction is going to freak you out, don't buy a carbon steel knife.

You may reduce the steel's reactivity by applying a baking soda solution.