Quantcast
Looking for my dream carbon gyuto
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for my dream carbon gyuto

Looking for my dream carbon gyuto

Hey there, looking for some advice on selecting a knife. Since I work as a sous chef and just really like knives, my fiancÚ would like to buy me a really nice knife as an engagement gift. So without further ado, here's the nitty gritty:

KNIFE TYPE
    Gyuto
    Right-handed
    Wa handle
    240mm
    Carbon steel (preferably not san-mai)
    Absolute maximum budget would be around $600, maybe a little more

KNIFE USE
    I primarily intend to use the knife in a professional kitchen, though we're not super high volume (~200 covers on a busy night). I'd rather the gift be something I get to use daily than something that will sit on a shelf. Main tasks would be vegetable prep, carrots being the hardest thing it will see. It would be replacing a Richmond Addict 2 AEBL 240mm. I use a pinch grip and cutting motion is about even between push cutting and gentle rocking (sort of a slicing/rocking hybrid, if that makes any sense). As far as what characteristics/improvements I'd like, I want something very nimble and precise, somewhere between laser and medium in terms of weight. Steel-wise, I'd like something easy to sharpen that will hold a steep edge for at least a week or two between sharpening with just a honing or stropping at the beginning of a shift.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    We use synthetic boards at work. I do sharpen my knives at home one a Bestor 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5000 and have an Idahone ceramic rod at work. I'll also probably get a strop setup some time in the near future. I'd rate my sharpening ability as good but not great.

The three knives I've been considering the most at the moment are the Masamoto KS, the profile of which I am very attracted to, the Masakage Shimo, and the Gesshin Kagekiyo Blue #1. Love to hear any other options you can think of though.

Shoot. I'm still looking for my dream gyuto too.

White steel like the masamoto tends to not have great edge retention. If you sharpen every day or so then that is not a big deal. Konosuke fujiyama in blue 2 or Watanabe if you can find one, Also a Marko Tsourkan if you could find one.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Of the three you mentioned, I would vote Kagekiyo by a mile.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

You can get a Watanabe honyaki blue #2 for around $600
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Where? I want one?
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

From him, 3 week turn around.... I ordered one yesterday
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    From him, 3 week turn around.... I ordered one yesterday
    Pics when it comes in! This has been on my mind for awhile now, just waiting to pull the trigger - maybe after your review Huw, i might succumb to it...

I bought a watanabe recently and I certainly wouldn't call it an agile knife at any stretch. Im actually in the middle of changing the geometry and thinning it out. Its been a major ***** unfortunately. It certainly takes a sharp edge reasonably quickly and holds it but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like beastly knives. I own a masamoto ks and enjoy the profile as well. Nothing i own seems to get as sharp as it can, although I did thin it out a bit before I got the maximum performance I feel I can get from it. It requires touching up frequently which isn't really ideal for an all rounder like a gyuto imo (although its certainly pleasant to use).

I looked at the masakage in aogami super for a while. I've never used it but it should hold a decent edge for a while, depending on how acute you like your edges. I sharpen up a hiromoto on the rika for a guy at work and it seems to work a charm. The masakage I imagine would be fairly similar bit require less work to get it singing. I bought the watanabe thinking it would be a good compromise between ultimate edge taking of white and the durability of aogami super.

All that aside, is there a reason you don't want a clad knife? I used to think they were a little numb feeling, but it certainly keeps things within a reasonable price range. Id love to try a honyaki blue gyuto but it's just too expensive and not justified for my uses.

He listed a couple clad knives as potential purchases. For example the kagekio. I think he just doesn't want it to be stainless clad. I am not sure though.

Yeah, just not stainless clad.