Quantcast
Looking for my dream carbon gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for my dream carbon gyuto

If you hurry there is beautiful Masamoto KS 240 for sale in the Buy/Sell/Trade section.

if youve been using a richmond addict then i suggest you look into the kochi knives that jon sells at jki. they both have similar blade heights, if you want to stick with using tall knives. also consider takeda. theyre usually really tall too, and very good for vegetable prep.
    ive also used shigefusa and mizuno gyutos in pro kitchens and i think either would be suitable for what youre looking for, especially considering your cutting motion. but rule out masamoto now if you still do a little rock chopping. it feels really uncomfortable when you try and cut that way using a masa ks.
    i suppose looking into heiji knives wouldnt hurt either.

Hmmm, the lacquer scratching on the Kagekiyo would be worrisome and it definitely was on the very upper range of acceptable price.

The Konosuke Fujiyama sounds great but I can't seem to find anywhere that actually has it in stock. Any idea how often they come back on the market?

The shigefusa and mizuno seem to be available in a couple different places. Any thoughts on differences between the two?

I'd also looked at the Takeda Classic Sasanoha a bit. The shape seems really interesting, though perhaps counterproductive for my needs?

Lastly, even though it's not carbon, I've heard a lot of good things about the Suisin Inox Honyaki. Having sharpened and cut with both stainless and carbon, I'm really preferring the latter atm, but maybe that's just because I haven't used a really great stainless before.

Thanks for all the advice so far, very appreciated.

I think the Gesshin Heiji would be a good fit.Great looking knife,killer grind.Carbon Wa-Gyuto.

That is indeed a really cool looking knife. On the brand page it describes the carbon steel as being similar to white #1 and that "they require a bit more skill and finesse to be used and cared for effectively." Something I should be concerned about or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Toft View Post
    That is indeed a really cool looking knife. On the brand page it describes the carbon steel as being similar to white #1 and that "they require a bit more skill and finesse to be used and cared for effectively." Something I should be concerned about or no?
    which knife are you refering to?

Well you always should protect your edges.I would aways put a simple edge guard on my carbons at work so the edge is protected when not in use even briefly.I don't have one though have though about pulling the trigger more than once.With the looks of the grind I imagine it would cut very well.

There are a few Heiji owners on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    which knife are you refering to?
    he is talking about Heiji carbon....

@Toft, just crossed my mind that you should also consider Carter's kurouchi & Delbert Ealy's O1
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Alright, from what's available to me right now, I have it down to either Gesshin Ajikataya Kurouchi (recommended by Jon), Gesshin Heiji, or Suisin Inox Honyaki. Any final thoughts?

id rule out heiji for now. i havent used one yet, but from the feedback ive read on this forum they involve some pretty good sharpening skills to maintain. which isnt a bad thing, heiji is certainly on my short list of knives to own/try soon. but for now you may want to get something else. you should perhaps try the search option on this forum and look for some old threads regarding heiji. particularly the ones where Edipis and others detail how they are sharpened and maintained.