Looking for my dream carbon gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toft

Reaction score
Hey there, looking for some advice on selecting a knife. Since I work as a sous chef and just really like knives, my fiancé would like to buy me a really nice knife as an engagement gift. So without further ado, here's the nitty gritty:

KNIFE TYPE
Gyuto
Right-handed
Wa handle
240mm
Carbon steel (preferably not san-mai)
Absolute maximum budget would be around $600, maybe a little more

KNIFE USE
I primarily intend to use the knife in a professional kitchen, though we're not super high volume (~200 covers on a busy night). I'd rather the gift be something I get to use daily than something that will sit on a shelf. Main tasks would be vegetable prep, carrots being the hardest thing it will see. It would be replacing a Richmond Addict 2 AEBL 240mm. I use a pinch grip and cutting motion is about even between push cutting and gentle rocking (sort of a slicing/rocking hybrid, if that makes any sense). As far as what characteristics/improvements I'd like, I want something very nimble and precise, somewhere between laser and medium in terms of weight. Steel-wise, I'd like something easy to sharpen that will hold a steep edge for at least a week or two between sharpening with just a honing or stropping at the beginning of a shift.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
We use synthetic boards at work. I do sharpen my knives at home one a Bestor 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5000 and have an Idahone ceramic rod at work. I'll also probably get a strop setup some time in the near future. I'd rate my sharpening ability as good but not great.

The three knives I've been considering the most at the moment are the Masamoto KS, the profile of which I am very attracted to, the Masakage Shimo, and the Gesshin Kagekiyo Blue #1. Love to hear any other options you can think of though.

Shoot. I'm still looking for my dream gyuto too.

White steel like the masamoto tends to not have great edge retention. If you sharpen every day or so then that is not a big deal. Konosuke fujiyama in blue 2 or Watanabe if you can find one, Also a Marko Tsourkan if you could find one.

Of the three you mentioned, I would vote Kagekiyo by a mile.

From him, 3 week turn around.... I ordered one yesterday :D

Pics when it comes in! This has been on my mind for awhile now, just waiting to pull the trigger - maybe after your review Huw, i might succumb to it...

I bought a watanabe recently and I certainly wouldn't call it an agile knife at any stretch. Im actually in the middle of changing the geometry and thinning it out. Its been a major ***** unfortunately. It certainly takes a sharp edge reasonably quickly and holds it but I wouldn't recommend it if you don't like beastly knives. I own a masamoto ks and enjoy the profile as well. Nothing i own seems to get as sharp as it can, although I did thin it out a bit before I got the maximum performance I feel I can get from it. It requires touching up frequently which isn't really ideal for an all rounder like a gyuto imo (although its certainly pleasant to use).

I looked at the masakage in aogami super for a while. I've never used it but it should hold a decent edge for a while, depending on how acute you like your edges. I sharpen up a hiromoto on the rika for a guy at work and it seems to work a charm. The masakage I imagine would be fairly similar bit require less work to get it singing. I bought the watanabe thinking it would be a good compromise between ultimate edge taking of white and the durability of aogami super.

All that aside, is there a reason you don't want a clad knife? I used to think they were a little numb feeling, but it certainly keeps things within a reasonable price range. Id love to try a honyaki blue gyuto but it's just too expensive and not justified for my uses.

He listed a couple clad knives as potential purchases. For example the kagekio. I think he just doesn't want it to be stainless clad. I am not sure though.

+1 for Konosuke Fujiyama in blue steel. Based on what you currently have I think the Kagekiyo would be a laser for you for sure. I would be scared off by how thin they are at the tip for use in a commercial kitchen.

To be honest I don't think you have to spend $600 to be blown away if you are coming from an Addict in AEB-L.

Hi
For 600 you could get a truly unique koraat-gyuto. Made of custom cast steel, not some industrial production steel like aogami....This guy composes the steel after your requirments and casts it himself. No stockremoval or such thing. I own two of his knives and they are truly magical, a true artist..Checkout his website:http://www.koraat-knives.at/

Greets
Benjamin

Masamoto KS: good profile & grind, medium weight. very easy to sharpen; however, I need to touch up mine everyday to keep laser sharp edge I like.
Watanabe pro: great workhorse gyuto. easy to sharpen, very good edge retention! However, not nimble and precise knife you're looking for......
Gesshin Kagekiyo : I never use one....however, you pay lots of money for Lacquer Handle/Saya & Lacquer is very easy to scratch. not sure it's good choice for professional kitchen use?? I'm also consider about narrow blade height ~45mm
Konosuke Fujiyama blue#2 seems like fit your need very well!! :2cents:

Kagekiyo..... at the very least call Jon @ JKI and ask for his suggestions. He is knowledgeable beyond belief and extremelly helpful. :my2cents:

Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Hontanren Blue 2 clad with soft iron

White steel like the masamoto tends to not have great edge retention.

Masamoto white steel does not have good edge retention. However, the white steel of a Gesshin Ginga has very good edge retention.

if youve been using a richmond addict then i suggest you look into the kochi knives that jon sells at jki. they both have similar blade heights, if you want to stick with using tall knives. also consider takeda. theyre usually really tall too, and very good for vegetable prep.
ive also used shigefusa and mizuno gyutos in pro kitchens and i think either would be suitable for what youre looking for, especially considering your cutting motion. but rule out masamoto now if you still do a little rock chopping. it feels really uncomfortable when you try and cut that way using a masa ks.
i suppose looking into heiji knives wouldnt hurt either.

Hmmm, the lacquer scratching on the Kagekiyo would be worrisome and it definitely was on the very upper range of acceptable price.

The Konosuke Fujiyama sounds great but I can't seem to find anywhere that actually has it in stock. Any idea how often they come back on the market?

The shigefusa and mizuno seem to be available in a couple different places. Any thoughts on differences between the two?

I'd also looked at the Takeda Classic Sasanoha a bit. The shape seems really interesting, though perhaps counterproductive for my needs?

Lastly, even though it's not carbon, I've heard a lot of good things about the Suisin Inox Honyaki. Having sharpened and cut with both stainless and carbon, I'm really preferring the latter atm, but maybe that's just because I haven't used a really great stainless before.

Thanks for all the advice so far, very appreciated.

I think the Gesshin Heiji would be a good fit.Great looking knife,killer grind.Carbon Wa-Gyuto.

That is indeed a really cool looking knife. On the brand page it describes the carbon steel as being similar to white #1 and that "they require a bit more skill and finesse to be used and cared for effectively." Something I should be concerned about or no?

That is indeed a really cool looking knife. On the brand page it describes the carbon steel as being similar to white #1 and that "they require a bit more skill and finesse to be used and cared for effectively." Something I should be concerned about or no?

which knife are you refering to?

Well you always should protect your edges.I would aways put a simple edge guard on my carbons at work so the edge is protected when not in use even briefly.I don't have one though have though about pulling the trigger more than once.With the looks of the grind I imagine it would cut very well.

There are a few Heiji owners on this forum.

Alright, from what's available to me right now, I have it down to either Gesshin Ajikataya Kurouchi (recommended by Jon), Gesshin Heiji, or Suisin Inox Honyaki. Any final thoughts?

id rule out heiji for now. i havent used one yet, but from the feedback ive read on this forum they involve some pretty good sharpening skills to maintain. which isnt a bad thing, heiji is certainly on my short list of knives to own/try soon. but for now you may want to get something else. you should perhaps try the search option on this forum and look for some old threads regarding heiji. particularly the ones where Edipis and others detail how they are sharpened and maintained.

Latest posts

Back