Quantcast
Modified Octagonal Handle - Pros and Cons, please chime in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modified Octagonal Handle - Pros and Cons, please chime in

Modified Octagonal Handle - Pros and Cons, please chime in

I have some octagonal handles on order, and since I haven't made an octagonal handle in a long time, and my process has changed considerably, I made one for practice.

I ended up modifying it - tapering the front and making it beefier than I used to make (it is easier to adjust to a larger handle than a smaller).

Wonder what you guys think about it? Good or bad idea?
    As I see it, pros - easier transition from handle-hold to pinch grip-hold, cons, you don't have the bulk of a front of a handle acting as a stop on a slice cuts (though making the handle beefier makes up for some of that).

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

By tapering I mean tapering the ferrule, similar to how I taper the front on D handles.

Every single custom knife I've ordered was ordered with a beefier handle. I find that much like golf grips, a slightly larger grip (handle) relaxes the hand and wrist muscles, allowing for more natural movement and increased timing/speed and accuracy. As for the taper, I just thin it makes sense. I love a good octagonal handle, but why not make it even more comfortable if you can?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

A larger handle with a tapered ferrule is ideal for me.

Taper on a single side or like this picture? Had this made and works better for me Name:  image.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  17.2 KB

I prefer tapered as it allows me more options for different grips depending on the task, but generally more comfortable. And larger for sure

@ Marko: sounds good

@Anton: looks great

I first noticed tapered WA ferrules on handles made by Mikey (mkriggen) and since then I taper all my handles. Feels much more comfortable for me. But I have very small hands so it might be totally different for guys with big palms.

The idea is not new, late Fish tapered some of his octagonal handles, one of the first ones I have seen years ago was for a Carter gyuto, in koa, contrasting ferrule and end cap, and aluminum spacers (the knife also had koa saya) that Lee (Luisianacook) used to have. I think that knife is in somebody else's possession currently.

Nevertheless, I don't recall a public discussion on pros and cons of this modification, so I am bringing this up in this thread.

I am not a big fan of octagonal handles (personal preference) but now and then I get a request to make one, so I think I should come up with a version that is closer in feel to the handles I like.

As for oversize handles, I came to the conclusion (tested on my wife) that it is fairly easy to adopt to an oversize handle and find them comfortable. Opposite holds for the small handles.

I will take pics this afternoon and hopefully there will be more input in this thread.

Many thanks,

Marko

You are right, the Carter you mentioned is what gave me the idea to start tapering my handles. The ferrule felt much better in the hand but the handle was straight (no further tapering after ferrule ended towards the butt), in my re-make I took it a step further and also tapered the handle it self by about 15 degrees up and out, and also enlarged it by about 10% with a slightly taller profile. I feel this is a better match to the natural ergonomics of my hand's natural grip.

The picture attached is one of from the original owner and it kind shows what I'm talking about. This knife is in my possession now; which by the way it's a piece of art.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like it.