Modified Octagonal Handle - Pros and Cons, please chime in

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
I have some octagonal handles on order, and since I haven't made an octagonal handle in a long time, and my process has changed considerably, I made one for practice.

I ended up modifying it - tapering the front and making it beefier than I used to make (it is easier to adjust to a larger handle than a smaller).

Wonder what you guys think about it? Good or bad idea?
As I see it, pros - easier transition from handle-hold to pinch grip-hold, cons, you don't have the bulk of a front of a handle acting as a stop on a slice cuts (though making the handle beefier makes up for some of that).

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Marko

By tapering I mean tapering the ferrule, similar to how I taper the front on D handles.

Every single custom knife I've ordered was ordered with a beefier handle. I find that much like golf grips, a slightly larger grip (handle) relaxes the hand and wrist muscles, allowing for more natural movement and increased timing/speed and accuracy. As for the taper, I just thin it makes sense. I love a good octagonal handle, but why not make it even more comfortable if you can?

A larger handle with a tapered ferrule is ideal for me.

Taper on a single side or like this picture? Had this made and works better for me image.jpg

I prefer tapered as it allows me more options for different grips depending on the task, but generally more comfortable. And larger for sure

I first noticed tapered WA ferrules on handles made by Mikey (mkriggen) and since then I taper all my handles. Feels much more comfortable for me. But I have very small hands so it might be totally different for guys with big palms.

The idea is not new, late Fish tapered some of his octagonal handles, one of the first ones I have seen years ago was for a Carter gyuto, in koa, contrasting ferrule and end cap, and aluminum spacers (the knife also had koa saya) that Lee (Luisianacook) used to have. I think that knife is in somebody else's possession currently.

Nevertheless, I don't recall a public discussion on pros and cons of this modification, so I am bringing this up in this thread.

I am not a big fan of octagonal handles (personal preference) but now and then I get a request to make one, so I think I should come up with a version that is closer in feel to the handles I like.

As for oversize handles, I came to the conclusion (tested on my wife) that it is fairly easy to adopt to an oversize handle and find them comfortable. Opposite holds for the small handles.

I will take pics this afternoon and hopefully there will be more input in this thread.

Many thanks,

Marko

You are right, the Carter you mentioned is what gave me the idea to start tapering my handles. The ferrule felt much better in the hand but the handle was straight (no further tapering after ferrule ended towards the butt), in my re-make I took it a step further and also tapered the handle it self by about 15 degrees up and out, and also enlarged it by about 10% with a slightly taller profile. I feel this is a better match to the natural ergonomics of my hand's natural grip.

The picture attached is one of from the original owner and it kind shows what I'm talking about. This knife is in my possession now; which by the way it's a piece of art.

IMG_6456.jpg

I typically round the end on the handle, but do it with a knife attached, so for now it's not rounded.

DSC_1084.jpg

DSC_1083.jpg

DSC_1082.jpg

DSC_1081.jpg

Beautiful as always Marco, I think it's a winner.

Be well,
mikey

I love it Marko, Looks really comfortable

Ok, so this type will be an option if folks must have an octagonal handle.

Last week I had the opportunity to hold Marko's new octagonal handle prototype. Even though I have medium/small hands it felt very comfortable and solid and the tapered ferrule made it as comfortable as the D handles in the pinch grip. Definitely a winner.

Back