Treasure from Down Under (Queensland, AU)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This box was shipped to me by sea at the beginning of November.
I was starting to worry that it might be lost. The guy who sent it to me had it shipped by sea because that was the cheapest way at just under $200. Future packages will come by air even though it costs twice as much.
When I walked into the post office today the guy behind the counter hollered at me saying "your package from Australia arrived, feels like it must be gold ingots". He was right, this small box weighed a lot.
rg001_zps179d8900.jpg

I was tempted to open the box at the post office but I forced myself to wait until I got back to the shop.
rg002_zps961d7742.jpg

rg003_zps24c51f03.jpg

I can tell by looking at the rough cut blocks that this is going to be some of the best Ringed Gidgee ever.
rg004_zps624b5d83.jpg

Grabbed a piece from the top of the pile and gave it a quick sanding.
rg005_zps47d39b95.jpg

For those of you who are not familiar with Ringed Gidgee, It is a desert growing variety of Acacia (Acacia cambagei). The same family as Koa. Looks like dark Koa but as dense as Desert Ironwood. And it smells great.

Now I have to get to work sanding and getting these ready for sale. The fellow I got the wood from said that he was sure I had never seen Gidgee like this and I have to say he was correct.

Very nice! They won't need stabilizing, right?

Stefan

I got the 1st batch sanded and ready to go.
Took individual photos of each block and they turned out terrible.
So I will take new photos and get them listed tomorrow.

Back