Quantcast
Hiromoto White Steel Redeux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiromoto White Steel Redeux

Hiromoto White Steel Redeux

This is a special run Hiromoto White (#2) Steel gyuto from JapaneseChefsKnife.com

These are similar in construction to the Hiromoto AS series except these are significantly thicker, the handle/bolster is more blockier, and bird's eye style rivets are used to hold the scales on.

The owner asked me to thin the blade, etch if I thought it would look OK, and to round the bolster & handle. I did all that as well as rounded the spine & choil and sharpened it up.

I found that most of the blade's thickness came from a lot of cladding on the left side, something I've never seen before.

The results from the etching were interesting, not super exciting like seen on some AS gyutos, yet different and still nice to look at.

I had real bad conditions for lighting today so the pictures are pretty dark, unfocused, and kinda lousy, hopefully you can see what was done....

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

That looks fantastic Dave!
    The handle & bolster look much more comfortable now.
    And no doubt the cutting performance has improved greatly.
    Thank you

Cheers
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Very timely post, Dave, as I've just been trying to get some information on these knives (the clad, white#2 available on JCK).

Is the current AS grind significantly thinner than this (and the earlier AS grind)?

Oh, your work looks incredible, as usual

Cheers,

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
    Very timely post, Dave, as I've just been trying to get some information on these knives (the clad, white#2 available on JCK).

Is the current AS grind significantly thinner than this (and the earlier AS grind)?

Oh, your work looks incredible, as usual

Cheers,

Justin

Hi Justin,
    This knife was quite a bit thicker than the AS series have ever been. I'd like to note that the current AS series have shown some knives to be thinner (than they have been in the past) yet I've recently seen two new gyutos that are thicker than the old ones were so it seems there's no telling what you'll get.

Thanks for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    That looks fantastic Dave!
    The handle & bolster look much more comfortable now.
    And no doubt the cutting performance has improved greatly.
    Thank you

Cheers
    I'm very happy to see that you like the look of it Huw. I'm sure that it'll feel and cut better now. Thanks for your business!

Thanks Dave. Very helpful comments, indeed.

Regards,

Justin

dave…that handle looks friggin ginormous….u look like u shaved off a few pounds off of that……ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    dave…that handle looks friggin ginormous….u look like u shaved off a few pounds off of that……ryan

Huw said that it weighed in at 308g when new....I measured it just now at 277g thinned out.

probably a lot nicer being lighter now….ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

How long did this take you, and what is the style of sharpening you did here? I remember you discussing in the past this type of sharpening that creates "clouds", but I forgot what you called it, nor do I remember if there were any advantages to it besides aesthetics.