My first acid etchings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckTheButcher

Reaction score
So tonight I did an acid etch on a hiromoto as suji, carter gyuto and a masanobu gyuto. Here they are. I forgot to take before photos.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looks good Chuck. Did you sand any of them down first?
I'll bet the dammy would pop a little more, but I'm actually really surprised at how much the VG-10 colored up.

Wow, that masanobu came out sweet:thumbsup:

Be well,
Mikey

I us micro mesh Mx and regular micro mesh although the carter could have used a little better job. I was surprised the damascus in the masanobu didn't come out more. I think I might try another soak on it. I was also very surprised how much the vg-10 core darkened.

I really love this etching, the black is really nice and contrasting opposed to steels. What etching agent did you use on these?

Does this etching fade with use or is it permanent.

Not long at all the etching it self only a few minutes per knife. A little longer for the masanobu. There are a couple blemishes on the carter and hiromoto when you get up close. All and all I am very happy with them though.

Masanobu is nice, Carter is alright, but the Hiro looks badass - an innaturally rugged pattern looks like a shredder. Sweet dude!

Back