Inlaid ho wood Handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefu

Reaction score
I see Carter has a lot of new Shiraki-san knives that have ho wood inlaid handles. The knives look exceptional. I've never seen an inlaid ho wood handle before. I'm not quite sure if I like it or not. Has anyone seen these?

Based on your post I looked them up on Google. My first impression was "Hey, that's different". It took about 15 seconds for me to appreciate the details and the subtlety of the inlays. The fact that it compliments the lines of the wa handle yet provides some aesthetic contrast was very pleasant to my eyes. I like!

I have seen inlay veneer similar to what you are referring to. You can get it in woodworker supply store like Rockler or Woodcraft. It comes in different width and patterns.

Inlaying that type of veneer would not be that difficult, though you will have to be careful shaping the handle, so you don't sand through the veneer.

Marko

Do you think that Murray is doing them or they were done in Japan?

They look like Japanese-made standard octagonal handles to me. Inlaying might be his idea though. I haven't seen anybody doing it on wa handles, but seen same type on jewelry boxes and other wood objects.

I'm not sure about the handles, but I have wanted to try a knife from Shiraki for a while, I have a Deba on the way, looking forward to trying it out, I'll give my impressions of the handle when it arrives.

Back