Quantcast
Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto

Ya, three seems to be the lower limit for someone who is able to restrain oneself pretty well. And only if one gives away the surplus ones though.

I was not looking to do single bevel only, sorry if it was understood this way. It was more about using more specialized japanese knifes, also double bevel like paring knives or slicers.

Since i'm only cooking at home when i can take my sweet time and don't have to worry about carrying the knives, i was wondering if there might be advantages using more specialized knifes most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    It took real bravery to admit that. Thank you for sharing such a private and intimate truth.
    This is usually the point where JohnnyChance chimes in and calls me an idiot for selling my Kato. THE one and only knife I regret selling. And I've sold quite a few in the last year. Including an ITK.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

so, it was you selling that Kato

Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    Ya, three seems to be the lower limit for someone who is able to restrain oneself pretty well. And only if one gives away the surplus ones though.

I was not looking to do single bevel only, sorry if it was understood this way. It was more about using more specialized japanese knifes, also double bevel like paring knives or slicers.

Since i'm only cooking at home when i can take my sweet time and don't have to worry about carrying the knives, i was wondering if there might be advantages using more specialized knifes most of the time.
    The specialized stuff is just that. Do you need it to produce 'traditional' Japanese cuisine? No. Will it make your life easier in some regards to own 7 knives that are highly specialized? Yes. Do you ever need an excuse to buy more knives? NO
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

One thought that crossed my mind was, given a Paring knife, a Sujihiki, a Honesuki, a Deba, a Yanagiba and some sort of Usuba are easy to reach on a mag bar in the kitchen, what food to cut would make you reach for a Gyuto? I can think of thicker cuts for some veggies but not much more right now. Maybe i'm wrong in thinking that i'd use an Usuba as the standard knife for vegetables (i don't own one yet).

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    One thought that crossed my mind was, given a Paring knife, a Sujihiki, a Honesuki, a Deba, a Yanagiba and some sort of Usuba are easy to reach on a mag bar in the kitchen, what food to cut would make you reach for a Gyuto? I can think of thicker cuts for some veggies but not much more right now. Maybe i'm wrong in thinking that i'd use an Usuba as the standard knife for vegetables (i don't own one yet).
    Oh ok- so you're really asking if having "specialized knives" is ok. Absolutely - I have knives that I only use for one thing, about 2-3 times per year. Yet I love them dearly

I'm of the mindset that given time, and a good gyuto, you can be just as proficient with that one good gyuto as all the other knives(in regards to their specialization). It's definitely more fun to have all of those other knives... Hell, I've supremed blood oranges with a Giant CCK cleaver before

Quote Originally Posted by Hbeernink View Post
    Oh ok- so you're really asking if having "specialized knives" is ok. Absolutely - I have knives that I only use for one thing, about 2-3 times per year. Yet I love them dearly
    Yes and if that would make people using them instead of reaching for the all-rounder mostly.

Double post, but the edit time limit was reached.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm of the mindset that given time, and a good gyuto, you can be just as proficient with that one good gyuto as all the other knives(in regards to their specialization). It's definitely more fun to have all of those other knives... Hell, I've supremed blood oranges with a Giant CCK cleaver before
    That's where i come from, but try to advance

i dont own any gyutos and built my set around chinese cleavers with pettys, sujihikis, a honesuki and a western deba. but i dont like real single bevels.