Quantcast
Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto

So far I've been using my gyuto for just about everything, and there's been nothing that's given me any issues with cutting. I don't even bother bringing my boning knife or bread knife to work anymore. Keep in mind I'm very new to high quality knives.

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I'm of the mindset that given time, and a good gyuto, you can be just as proficient with that one good gyuto as all the other knives(in regards to their specialization). It's definitely more fun to have all of those other knives... Hell, I've supremed blood oranges with a Giant CCK cleaver before
    Ahahaha, im curious as to why you decided to do that, seems a little ridiculous.

I was bored.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Well that's as good a reason as any

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    I only have my Shig at this point. I think I'll find another Shig so Shig1 doesn't feel lonely...
    thats a pretty good choice if youre gonna limit yourself to one gyuto. temporarily atleast.

I have a watanabe, inox honyaki and masamoto ks on standby atm..guess that makes three. I really should sell one of them but I keep holding off. The ks is kinda like what I use to compare sharpness and profile to, the suisin is a solid stainless knife for if I end up somewhere where I don't feel like I should be using my carbons and my watanabe I'm slowly transforming and giving it my own flavour.

Ok, so what i understand, most people have a kind of go-to knife, which may be for instance a gyuoto, a satoku (or a similar one from a different region in Japan) or some Chinese Clever.

+ Reply to Thread