Great value carbons

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanusInTheGarden

Reaction score
I was hoping to take a quick poll on everyones favorite sub-$200 carbon gyutos for professional use. So, for less than $200, what carbon gyuto would you buy as a primary knife in a pro setting.

Misono Swedish ain't a bad option. You can get a 240 Dragon for around $170.

I was hoping to take a quick poll on everyones favorite sub-$200 carbon gyutos for professional use. So, for less than $200, what carbon gyuto would you buy as a primary knife in a pro setting.

hiromono AS gyuto is a great option - blue super steel, good profile, pretty solid/rugged knife. a 240mm will run you ~$160 at JCK, 270 is $183. They run pretty true to size.

Another great option is the gesshin and gesshin uraku lines (give jon a call and tell him what you need), and if you can stretch just a bit more you should really look at the gesshin ginga gyutos (which has the added bonus of being fun to say!)

I might consider a Kikuichi. Maybe the steels is a little softer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing in a pro environment. A little more forgiving perhaps , and very easy to put an edge on.

Yamawaku is a great value for around 100$. Though I'm not a chef and my recommendations could be terribly wrong.

Id defiently get a misono dragon for about $180 or a tanaka blue #2 damascus with a little work becomes an awesome knife and I love using both of them.

don't forget fujiwara fkh line for bang for the buck entry level j knives.

I wish that misono came in the dragon for the 210 size. Its WAY cheaper but it is only a flower design, not ideal to say the lease. It is 119 so being 2/3 of the price for 30 mm less is a great deal, sadly the flowers kinda kills it

I wish that misono came in the dragon for the 210 size. Its WAY cheaper but it is only a flower design, not ideal to say the lease. It is 119 so being 2/3 of the price for 30 mm less is a great deal, sadly the flowers kinda kills it
What's wrong with flowers? Dragons are way overrated, IMHO! :D

What's wrong with flowers? Dragons are way overrated, IMHO! :D

bang for buck, its a great knife, esp from JCK as they are awesome, but if it just a flower for the whole line I wouldn't mind as much, downside ofc is that it goes from dragon to flowers....quite the shift lol.

So out of these carbons which of them could be considered to be lasers or close to lasers?
If one isn't mentioned but you have a suggestion please toss it in.

I am looking for a fairly cheap carbon laser, used or new to replace my miyabi 600D, it's sharp and it served me well as a good first knife but it's thick and hard to get the cuts I want on vegetables.

I have a shorter santoku in White #2 and it's lovely, it is however just 160 mm and I would want a 240mm long gyuto.

210 Misono Swedish from Korin doesn't have a flower on it. I wouldn't consider Tanaka Blue Damascus a Lazer. Have one and like it (minus stock handle) but definitely not as thin/light as Konosuke/Yusuke/Suisin IH even TKC to name a few lazery knives.

Yea the tanaka is definitely not a laser much more of a workhorse knife.

I don't know if it is in your price range nachuraru but you can get a ginga in white #2 on ebay for $173.

Back