• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS: Kaneshige 175mm nakiri - ATTN all lefties!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echerub

Reaction score
I picked up this Kaneshige 175mm nakiri w/ blue 2 hagane, damascus cladding and yew octagonal handle to just give it a try. However, it turns out this knife is really better suited for lefties, and I'm not a lefty! This, however, is a good thing for those of you who are lefties :)

It's got great distal taper from ferrule to "tip", a nice tall profile, and it's thin behind the edge. I used it in my home kitchen for a week and sharpened it up once. The cladding is not stainless steel, but it's very much on the non-reactive side of things. The blue 2 hagane in this one kicks up a burr really easily, and it's a toothy steel. The edge is much flatter than many other nakiri and is very usuba-like in that respect. But there's the other thing that makes this usuba-like. I hope that my choil shot shows it, but the asymmetry makes this almost a "usuba-inspired" knife for lefties.

Ivan at Tosho picked up a whole batch of knives from a young craftsman over in Sakai who is making kitchen knives from start to finish all by himself. So he does the forging, sharpening, and handles himself. I wanted to give it a try out of curiosity and then went through practically the whole box of them to choose the one that I thought was best. This one has the best distal taper of the whole batch and also felt best in my hand.

Almost brand-new, a smidge of sharpening marks just above the bevel near the tip, but the cladding itself is pristine.

Asking CDN$165 all-in for Canadians, and US$165 all-in for those in the US. Other international, we can discuss :)

nakiri-01a.jpg

nakiri-02a.jpg

The patina you see in the cladding is actually emphasized in the photo and less obvious in person.

nakiri-03a.jpg

The dark patch is just a flat part of the choil that reflected no light for this image.

nakiri-04a.jpg

Back