Richmond Reviews

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;kt28tQEDQsA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt28tQEDQsA&list=UUifub5A3ozpPnRdcCKrC2_w& feature=c4-overview[/video]

[video=youtube;Ge3ois--25Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge3ois--25Y[/video]

Don't forget to read the comments. :)

He said he was sharpening to 10 degrees inclusive! Correct me if I'm wrong but that's 5 degrees per side?....Even a DT AEB-L would would be weak at those angles, please.

I never cared to learn about angles to be honest, so I am not sure what 5, 10, 30 degrees are. Instead, I learned to establish an angle by different reference points, but I will tell you that DT AEB-L can be sharpened to a very acute angle and still have enough edge stability to perform well Weak edge is a relative thing, if you don't cut through chicken bones,a knife ground almost to zero edge will perform excellently on just about anything. Weak in my book is when the edge is rolling or chipping. Devin's AEB-L won't do either.

AEB-L is a great steel, it's all about the heat treatment.

At least the weird yelp reviews I've gotten were short.

His second review can be summed as, "The Richmond knife is not performing to my expectations as it does not retain an edge very well, and I would not recommend it."

This guy is clearly a bit unusual (LOL) in his ideas and methods (especially in sharpening at 10 deg inclusive - 5 deg per side) but regardless any knife should be able to cut through saran wrap without deforming at the edge. Do I believe him about this? I'm not sure regarding the details. I do believe that there's some truth in the overall message though.

Two things I loved and maybe it's just The accent?? But when he said " this is a crap knife" I LMAO. That and when he called it a shill forum. I think it would be just about the coolest thing if one of those guys that remix YouTube videos (like the gingers have no soul video) did a spoof on this one.

Okay, so I definitely can't watch all the way through either one of these. This guy has been hanging out with Cliff Stamp way too much. Is this his brother? Cousin? Son? Soulmate?
I would never buy (another) Richmond anything, but could you imagine having to deal with a customer like this?
It almost makes me feel bad for Mark.
10 degrees inclusive?
Weirdo.

Sorry, don't hitch your wagon to this BS ......I don't know what to call this ...........?

I wouldn't want to have that much air time for people to nit pick at, but does he argue that his honesuki is only for fish?

This guy is just a wanker it sounds like he uses a wicked edge anyway so why would he want better knives... also who takes a chefs knife to 5 degrees per side is he trying to thin on his wicked edge or something.. look how ****** the honesuki is haha

If you dig a little deeper you can find reports where this guy tested the same knife in M390 using all the Cliff Stamp test methodologies. He hacked tree limbs "in an abusive manner" and dropped it onto gravel. Pretty standard stuff highly representative of any modern kitchen.

I take this review less seriously than the knife itself....

It is what it is. A production run knife in aeb-l with a not so terrific grind at an entry price point.

This thread is like German car enthusiasts poking fun at Hyundai.

Srsly 5 degrees? Why would you want to have a 5 degree edge on a knife that hits the board all the time... 5 degrees on a parer would be feasible, but still to steep if you ask me.

i didn't even get through half of the video and I'm exhausted

You'd have to go half way up the blade face to get that kind of angle on that knife. I seriously doubt this was actually accomplished.

i'm not saying 10 degrees inclusive is a good idea, but take this for what its worth... i have more than 1 knife with 8-10 degrees inclusive edges that i really do use for food and on cutting boards... its certainly not a good idea for everything or for everyone, but its hardly impossible

aside from that, i'm staying out of this one

How can I measure angle with free hand sharpening?
I have no idea what angles I'm sharpening… guestimating at something around 12-15˚ :)

He seems very knowledgable in some aspects and rather ignorant in others. For instants not all honesuki's are chisel ground some are just very asymmetrical and 10 degrees does seem steep for a gyuto. How ever he is right in stating that this is besides the point. If it is a poorly done heat treatment then it isn't going to be a good knife. Like he said it is what it is. I tend to take reviews with a grain of salt from people who us wicked edge and other jigs though.

its hard to measure while sharpening, but you can use an iphone with an angle finder app to see what angles look like easily (there are android apps too)

I served 300 people "damberguerres" that friends brought down from Canada for a huge lobster bake party we did up in Vermont. I kept asking where they got all the ground beef. They refused to tell me til we were all lit. Then they just impersonated a horse.

Back