Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing bent blade on Shigefusa

Fixing bent blade on Shigefusa

Today I received a Shigefusa petty which needs a new handle. I have no idea how original owner managed to bent the blade, but it's bent not in the tip area, but closer to blade!
    I've tried to make a few shots to highlight the problem.

The blade is quite flexible towards the tip, but the bent section is pretty stiff. Very stiff I would say. I don't know the story of this knife yet (gonna ask original owner later) but it looks like knife wasn't really used. I examined edge very closely but apart from some minor scuffs I couldn't notice any marks from sharpening. And I have yet to find out how it lost its original handle. The super beefy tang has lots of marks on it from chisel or smth similar… and remains of glue.

While original owner didn't asked me to do anything with the blade, I think if it's possible to fix, it's better be done before I put on new handle.

Can you guys give me any advices here? How to straighten blade here? I'll surely contact original owner before doing anything.

Huh that one is bad ;(

lay it on flat table and push gentle up

Can't tell for sure from pic, but it may be warpage. Is it simply bent up evenly, or does it look like it will take some torgue to bend straight.

Warpage is usually from heat treat, and pretty hard to fix.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I think it's warped, too. I can't imagine too many scenarios in which a user would bend that part of a blade...

Thanks guys. The bent looks a little bit uneven. I imagine that it could be possible to do such thing if someone tried to crack a walnut with it.
    Gonna talk to original owner about it. He is a knife enthusiast and might also be KKF member already.
    P.S. I actually asked him about any blades that might need new handles, so I could get more practice in handles making. He gave me few and I'm having fun now Damn, even in this condition that Shigefusa cuts better then most of my knives…

The man who owns this blade told me he got it cheap from another KKF member. It was some heavy shelf that fell on this blade and got it bent.
    Yet the owner gave me carte blanche on trying to fix blade.
    I'm going to try Maxim's offering.

Is that a joke or are you serious?
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    Is that a joke or are you serious?

A little of both. If gentle persuasion won't work then maybe a soft faced mallet and a stump might be the answer.

*Note - Please don't use the hammer type above.

Huh. Never would have tried that.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog