Line knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of forging this week, and that's finished for the moment until I get these couple of knives finished. It has allowed me some time(a few minutes here and there) to think and to tinker. One of the things I have been working on is a santoku design, and I have one that im happy with. I know that's not a real big design with you guys, but I do a couple of shows a year and Id like to have that one in my lineup. Ive had a few requests for it.
Anyway, I have a couple of 210-215mm petty-suji knives to make as well, what some of you refer to as line knives.
I have seen this term used over and over again and to me it seems there are a lot of talk about them and little action.
So how do you really feel about a 210ish knife 36-38mm tall with a convex grind.
Should I add this as a regular model to my line?
Im thinking some where in the neighborhood of $275 or so in AEBL, maybe $300, depending on how it goes.
Also 210mm seems the top end of the length on the comments I have seen, would it be better at 200mm?
Let me know your thoughts. To me it seems like it would be a fun knife to do, and one of those gaps that other makers are not really filling. I love those.

Thanks,
Del

210 sounds great! I've never used a 200 mm suji or gyuto but I have a 180 shig santoku and find it a little too short and if there is a line for the new line knife, I'll like to get in it :)

Count me in for one, I currently use a 210 Suisin IH petty as my line knife (occasionally use various 150mm petty, sometimes 240 suji as line knife). Love using the 210 petty/suji profile for line work but would love something a little sturdier/heftier since my Suisin is super thin/light. AEBL would be great since in the heat of the rush I sometimes dont have time to think about keeping knife dry to prevent reactivity. Would love to try out your take on a line knife, let me/us know.

Ive used a bunch of different ones including one of yours and though it sounded great in theory i never felt comfortable with them. Then I tried a 230mm Nenox and that was perfect. I think don't go shorter go longer

Brad, no worries there, I just started with the idea of using stainless. If I decide to make it part of my regular line it would be available in all the materials I work in.
This post is mainly to gauge interest, and to hear your input. I won't be doing a prebuy on these until I get the spoons and other projects done.
Thanks for your input so far.
Del

The term "line knife" seems very objective and riddled with opinion. I like the 210 suji/petty but it doesn't really cover everything. I like your idea of (and correct me if I'm wrong) a gyuto suji hybrid in 210-ish. Just enough height at the heel to mince or julienne if need be, but still sleek enough to slice proteins for plating.
I'm looking fwd to seeing what you come up with, which will no doubt be fantastic!

The term "line knife" seems very objective and riddled with opinion. I like the 210 suji/petty but it doesn't really cover everything. I like your idea of (and correct me if I'm wrong) a gyuto suji hybrid in 210-ish. Just enough height at the heel to mince or julienne if need be, but still sleek enough to slice proteins for plating.
I'm looking fwd to seeing what you come up with, which will no doubt be fantastic!

Mark,
Thanks, I really glad that one knife doesn't cover everything, otherwise I'd be out of work pretty shortly.
I'm just gauging interest, I have to make a couple of these anyway, so it won't be any trouble to do more. It will be a lot easier than designing that santoku.
Thanks,
Del

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as well.
Also a big +1 to what Marc said.

Sorry, by everything I meant within the capacity of a line knife during service on the line where space is a premium as is time.

Del,
I see your style really suitable for gyuto/suji hybrid. As long is te first half not very tall that it reduces the drag for sllicing the proteins for plate up and it taper ups height at the end for cutting it would be great. For example in a line knife I would trim the ends off of a lamb loin and cut in 3 for plate up , wipe clean ,then very thinly shave baby radish or cut heirloom tomatoes for salad

i'm with you on that chefcomes back =D

been lookin for a good line knife. hopefully i'll have enough cash to get one from del.

I think 210 is about right, anything more and 240 sujis are dime a dozen and perhaps not so good in confined spaces, and anything less is getting a little small. You want a pretty flat profile to make it versatile. I got a custom one a few years ago and I still have used it literally every day in work since I got it

I am definitely looking for a sturdier 210 suji-petty. Personally if you just made a taller suji then it would be perfect. I think a 40mm height would be perfect. I am very interested in this. $275 sounds about right.

I have a 205mm funyaki that is pretty much perfect for the line.

I just want to add some valid points to what makes a line knife.

A line knife sits out on your board during service.

Should be smaller, as to not get in the way. Sub 210.

Shouldn't be stainless, as you'll be too busy to baby it.

Doesn't need belly/ should make a good slicer, as protein slicing, a la minute chiffonade, etc...will be it's main task.

Should have a pointy tip to pop open a criovac bag, but too pointy probably not good, as it will get banged around.

Sturdy, grippy handle, as your hands are often wet or grimey.

Not too expensive as it's probably the most likely scenario for a knife to hit the ground.

Which is a good reason to have a workhorse grind...

100_1442.jpg

Here is my prototype of both the santoku model and the line knife.
The santoku is 165mm and the line knife is 210mm.
let me know what you think.
Del

The profile on that line knife is down right sexy!!!

The line knife looks sweet, Del! I wouldn't mind one on my magstrip in the not too distant future.

Back