Quantcast
Gowanus Cutting Boards - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gowanus Cutting Boards

Pete, from Gowanus Furniture Co - thx for the mention...

Hi everyone-

Thanks for mentioning my cutting board back in June.

Just wanted to let you know, I'm making a few revisions to the design - in my own using it, as noted in this thread, the mat was a bit too small to work as effectively as a larger plastic mat, and was too weak to be an effective scraper. The next iteration will have a slot for a standard 6" stainless bench scraper. Design as an iterative process...

I hear you on the slot being another avenue for moisture and weakens it slightly, but if the board is well-oiled and never submerged, it shouldn't be *that* much of a problem, especially for these boards that are 2" thick and for home use, but do hear where you're coming from. I wouldn't put a slot in a thinner board, tho, or in a professional-caliber board.

Fun stuff, these cutting boards. In my little niche, I'm focus on features that work well in small kitchens to make them easier to use, handle and store. In *lovely* Gowanus. More versions and features are on the way - and if any interest in custom boards or features, just give a shout.

Pete

Thanks for chiming in on your upgrades and disregarding all the off-color remarks It will be interesting to see the next version. Btw, I know you have space issues in NY, and I thought this built in board stand from Japan was interesting.

Cutting Board with Built in Stand

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Raho View Post
    Hi everyone-

Thanks for mentioning my cutting board back in June.

Just wanted to let you know, I'm making a few revisions to the design - in my own using it, as noted in this thread, the mat was a bit too small to work as effectively as a larger plastic mat, and was too weak to be an effective scraper. The next iteration will have a slot for a standard 6" stainless bench scraper. Design as an iterative process...

I hear you on the slot being another avenue for moisture and weakens it slightly, but if the board is well-oiled and never submerged, it shouldn't be *that* much of a problem, especially for these boards that are 2" thick and for home use, but do hear where you're coming from. I wouldn't put a slot in a thinner board, tho, or in a professional-caliber board.

Fun stuff, these cutting boards. In my little niche, I'm focus on features that work well in small kitchens to make them easier to use, handle and store. In *lovely* Gowanus. More versions and features are on the way - and if any interest in custom boards or features, just give a shout.

Pete

Pete

Thanks for showing up and having the "right spirit," We appreciate vendor participation. I wasn't dumping on you or your company/product just dumping in the Gowanus Canal (Taking a dump for 150 years and still going strong)
    Can you tell I'm from NY?
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

Quote Originally Posted by BertMor View Post
    Gowanus is a horrible name! Any New Yorker will agree, the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn is a cesspit, a cousin to Love Canal, and ought to be Super Fund cleaned! No cutting board for you!~

That, and Newtown Creek!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Marco is dead right...Any subtraction of material from a board, in one area, will weaken the board dramatically in that area leading to weakness overall. That is whay I take such pains to arrange the blocks in such a way as to minimize the movement as much as I can. The boards I made with the pull-out tray were a good idea but maybe not as sturdy as I had hoped. Plus the interest was highly limited so I dropped the idea.

Plus I specialize in cutting boards. When I venture off into other areas, I dilute my board efforts.

I think I like the idea of a lip on a cutting board. Sure, it would be the weakest part of the board, but I think I would find it useful every now and then.