Hello from New Orleans

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarrno

Reaction score
I've been browsing through the site for a few weeks as I mulled my first purchase of quality knives, which was inspired by some home renovations that finally gave me a decent kitchen workspace. I ended up starting with the Misono 440 Moly Gyuto (210), Santuko (180), and Petty. I'm looking forward to having some fun with them and eventually learning how to work the stones. I'm just a home cook (although I have a lot of front of the house restaurant experience), so I'm sure it will take me a while to get the hang of things, but that's why I figured I would register with KKF and take advantage of all the expertise of the other members.

Looking forward to our future discussions!

Daniel Carr

Welcome to KKF! You've come to the right place to learn, I've already learned so much in the short time I've been a member here.

Thanks, guys. Just curious, do you think I made a decent choice for my first "real" knives?

Welcome. What a great city! (But of course I needn't tell you -- or Dardeau -- that.) Son went to Tulane. Giving me an "excuse" to go to so many wonderful restaurants, from the somewhat cliched Cafe Jacques-Imo's (though I very much enjoyed it) and Commander's Palace, to more obscure, fabulous places.

Right on. I figured there would be more than a few KKF members from NOLA, given the number of restaurants. Speaking of which, had some pretty good grub at Maurepas Foods last night.

Thanks, guys. Just curious, do you think I made a decent choice for my first "real" knives?

I have a couple of Misono Swedish carbon knives, and they are very well made and very good performers, just not "drool worthy" as some other knives are. I think you made a very good choice.

yeah the 440 series was pretty nice, i had a gyuto from that line for a little while. if you start hanging around here more you will start learning about different grinds and steels and im sure. trying new knives never gets old, thats why so many of us are addicted.

I have a couple of Misono Swedish carbon knives, and they are very well made and very good performers, just not "drool worthy" as some other knives are. I think you made a very good choice.

Thanks. I have a feeling this is but the first step down a long road . . .

I think you and I might be the only ones. Craig is pretty close, but there aren't as many as you would think. Maurepas is either awesome or a bust in my experience, I'm glad you got a good night. I've been trying to get to Maritza, but it's closed on my off days. Are you in the industry here, or a home guy?

I think you and I might be the only ones. Craig is pretty close, but there aren't as many as you would think. Maurepas is either awesome or a bust in my experience, I'm glad you got a good night. I've been trying to get to Maritza, but it's closed on my off days. Are you in the industry here, or a home guy?

Home guy. I was a busser/waiter for 15 years (Mr B's, Gautreau's were the highlights) then went to law school. Love to cook but only just recently renovated our old shotgun to give me a decent workspace. Looking forward to seeing what I can do in there.
Mariza was great the only time I went. Like a slightly less ambitious Domenica but just as good over all. Where's your gig right now?

my exec spent some time at domenica and he raves about his experiences there. i currently work at this place in baton rouge called Jubans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you work for Bogden? I know he ended up in Baton Rouge. My lady worked in the kitchen at Domenica and when Maritza opened a lot of the menu was a two year old Domenica menu. And that is not a bad thing, I have to get my **** together and go. Hope you enjoy your Misonos and try not to spend all your money, have to save some for food!

Back