Greetings from Germany

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks after I stumbled across a link to this board (on the /ck/ cooking channel on 4chan, of all things).

I'm 39 years old and live in Erding, the home of the Erdinger Weißbier. I am what would be the equivalent of a college teacher in the US, with English and Psychology/Counseling as my subjects.

I have been fascinated by knives since I was a little kid and I still have my first knive that my father gave to me when I was in elementary school, a Swiss Army Knife. (I also still have the scar that knife gave me when I tried to pry a chunk out of a chocolate Santa Claus with the tip. Don't try that with a folding knife that doesn't have a lock ...). For a time I was very much into combat, fighting and survival knives but, as a hopeless couch potato, had little opportunity to actually use any of them. In that aspect kitchen knives are a MUCH better fit, as I enjoy cooking as much as eating.

I am not very much into the custom made, expensive stuff, I prefer affordable, low maintenance workhorses, the sort you wouldn't hesitate to use in a commercial kitchen. Most of my knives are from the well known German brands (Wüsthoff, F. Dick) but I also have some Japanese blades.

here is a pic of my collection:

DSCN1840_zpsfc0ed318.jpg

Visible knives from left to right are:

Wüsthof Classic 26cm, two of them
Zweibrüder Eisvogel 26cm
Burgvogel 26cm (Messermeister in the US). An interesting piece I got from ebay, apparently a surplus knife from the Bundeswehr. 25 years old, never used. The blade is so thick it could be used as a prybar.
F. Dick Premier Plus 26cm, green HACCP veggie handle. I bought it used on ebay off a cook who had quit his apprenticeship. "has just beensharpened" in the description, it was the dullest piece of crap I had ever held :biggrin:
FISKARS 25cm
F. Dick Premier Plus 23cm
Goldhamster 23cm (produced many years ago by what is now Solicut)
Wüsthoff Classic 23cm, three of them, one lightly used off ebay
Wüsthoff Gourmet, 23cm
FELIX "Platinum" series 23cm
Wüsthoff Silverpoint 23cm
IKEA Slitbar 23cm
Tupperware Pro 23cm (I know I know, In my defense I got it brand new and super cheap on ebay, for like 20$)
Henckels Pollux 20cm
Wüsthoff Classic 16cm (It is so cute!)

The knives to the right of that are mostly cheap stuff, one F. Dick Premier Plus petty was a bit pricier.

The boxes in the left hand corner near the wall contain a ..
Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto (I have gotten another one since the photo ... strangely much better fit and finish of the handle)
CarboNext 270mm gyuto from JCK
Hattori FH 270mm gyuto, also from JCK
F. Dick Series 1778 24 cm chef's knife

the black upright box contains a (rather cheap, as I can tell now) Wüsthoff butcher/skinning knife and steel that was given to my dad as a present many many years ago. I also have some more cheap stuff hidden away, a 22cm Vic FIBROX, and F. Dick Pro Dynamic that is comparable to it qualitywise (but has by far the widest blade of all my chef knives), three KIWI knives, a super cheap IKEA knife and four or five more.

Welcome to KKF!

With your already not small collection I think it might take KKF longer to persuade you to buy MORE KNIVES :)

Yep, my collection is pretty much complete. I only buy knives that I think are good looking as well as practical, most of the other mass produced stuff doesn't really appeal to me, like the other knives from Henckels or WMF. Only remaining knives on my wishlist are a 10'' K-Sabatier and a Burgvogel Master Line (Messermeister San Moritz in the US)

Welcome to KKF.
Nice collection.
I have always wanted to try an F. Dick Series 1778. Is it your favourite knife?

Welcome-i think you are the only other person i know with a Goldhamster.I bought one purely for the name.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Welcome to KKF

Please send us some Weißbier! :)

I'm pretty sure it's vailable in the US. I watched "Million Dollar Baby" with Clint Eastwood and Hilary Swank some time ago and almost fell off my chair when I noticed the restaurant Swank's character worked in had a huge awning with "Erdinger Weißbier" tags all over it :laugh:

Welcome to KKF.
Nice collection.
I have always wanted to try an F. Dick Series 1778. Is it your favourite knife?

It fits my hand nicely, but I haven't cooked with it yet. I fear it is one of the few drawer queens I have. I will say though that fit and finish (especially of the wooden handle) are definitely not what I expected for the money (€330, and that was by far the cheapest offer anywhere). It is actually my second 1778 because I had to send the first one back - the blade was welded on out of line with the tang AND at an angle, pointing slightly to the left! Accordingly the lines of the bolster on both sides of the knife were asymmetrical too. Worst of all the blade appears to be absolutely identical in shape and size to the ones on my Tojiro DPs ... makes me wonder if there was a little clandestine cooperation there and I paid €265 for what would be a Tojiro DP with a fancy wooden handle. My Hattori FH has a vastly better fit and finish and only cost €200 (no three layer blade though)

Welcome-i think you are the only other person i know with a Goldhamster. I bought one purely for the name.

No wonder they went out of business, lol. Actually those knives were produced by a pretty large Solingen company that has been producing knives for various distributors for decades, allowing them to slap their name onto their blades while staying unknown themselves. They appeared under their own name (Solicut) just a few years ago. Apparently they have partnered with another Solingen company, FELIX and the knives are still available in a slighty changed variant (no full bolster, good idea) over FELIX distributors.
http://www.solicut.de/index.php?en_catalogue

Welcome from a next door neighbor (a Dutchie)!

Back