Quantcast
Blue patina - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blue patina

Fine sharpening stone mud works well for removing patina, just gently use a cork to polish with the mud in the direction of the grind marks. I have found the mud to cause no scratching, unlike Bar Keepers Friend or similar cleaners which might cause light scratching. Continual cleaning of the staining like this will make the blade less reactive over time.

My Takeda Honesuki also got a (in my opinion) really nice blue patina. Seems that poultry is doing the trick for me on Aogami Super.

I'd also suggest to apply some ss mud to see if it helps to remove the patina.

Yanagi's cutting only sashimi & sushi topping do not react that much at all.Pretty easy to keep them cleaned up.Gyuto's however cutting everthing will patina quickly.Personally on Gyuto's,petty etc.let the patina go,protects fr. rust as long as used alot.

Good tips. I've read up a bit more on baking soda being Sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) and being alkaline. Someone wrote that it passivates steel somehow. Maybe it's reacting with steel/iron and builds a kind of invisible 'patina' which obstructs the acid based patinas or rust from developing? Just a wild guess, i did not find confirmation of that thought yet.

i've tried nearly everything, and scrubbing with baking soda has been the best result for me, as far as reducing reactivity.

i tried reading that thread but it gave me a headache, i don't care about the why, only the how, lol.

+ Reply to Thread