Quantcast
Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto

Without an all-rounder like a Gyuto

I'd like to know if it can be feasible and efficient to prepare non-Japanese kinds of cuisine with a set of Japanese (mostly single bevel) knives without the heavy use of some sort of all-rounder. If so, is anyone of you doing so?

Cheers!

Certain regions of Japan traditionally produce double bevel knives. Jon carries some knives like this from the Tosa region (Zakuri). There are a few knives like the sabaki, tosa knife and thinner debas that supplanted my gyutos for primary use long ago. I also did a good long stretch using a sujihiki for just about everything. I think a western kitchen really benefits from a heavier use general purpose knife but it doesn't have to be a gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    I'd like to know if it can be feasible and efficient to prepare non-Japanese kinds of cuisine with a set of Japanese (mostly single bevel) knives without the heavy use of some sort of all-rounder. If so, is anyone of you doing so?

Cheers!
    I did it for a while as a sort of an experiment. it takes some getting used to and you really get to know your knives. but I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some real commitment/reason for doing it. I certainly would not do this in a commercial environ.

tripleq, interesting. With Tosa knife do you mean the 'Tosagata Bocho'? If so do you use it as your go-to knife when the task does not demand a more specialized one? Looks like a nice type of knife for me as well for when i don't want to use a big 270mm Gyuto. Also, the relatively flat profile looks like it'd help me push cutting vegetables. I wonder if an Usuba (square) would be similar in handling and could be used for the odd non-vegetable task as well.

Hbeernink, i see, so it's possible to do so, but in the end an all-round knife of some sort seems to be more practical.

Quote Originally Posted by TaJ View Post
    Hbeernink, i see, so it's possible to do so, but in the end an all-round knife of some sort seems to be more practical.
    Certainly possible. They make 210 gyutos and even shorter santoku that work really well for all around stuf if you don't want a big double bevel, but I would actually say that a double bevel is really a good thing. Something like a nakiri will be good for veg when you don't need a sharp tip- and it doesn't feel like a gyuto.

Is there a particular reason you're looking to do single bevel only?

Completely unfeasible. 100% insanity. Every single kitchen must contain not one gyuto, rather no less than three. Six to ten is advisable. Ten or more may border overkill, but just slightly.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Phew! I just picked up my third. No wonder I was feeling so inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Completely unfeasible. 100% insanity. Every single kitchen must contain not one gyuto, rather no less than three. Six to ten is advisable. Ten or more may border overkill, but just slightly.
    Well I have 7 if it means anything.... (And that's not including the western chef's knives)

I only have my Shig at this point. I think I'll find another Shig so Shig1 doesn't feel lonely...
    Today is as good a day to die as any. Except for tomorrow. I have plans tomorrow.

It took real bravery to admit that. Thank you for sharing such a private and intimate truth.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

+ Reply to Thread