Fujiwara 240mm FKH VS Masamoto KS Wa-Guyto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunti01

Reaction score
Fujiwara 240mm FKH Hardness: HRC 60

and

Masamoto KS Wa-Guyto Hardness: HRC 62

In theoretical they are different in hardness 60 and 62 that means Masamoto KS is sharper.

But.. in practical Do they are different in sharpness???

I've practicing freehand knife sharpening for about half a year. Still I can't say I can push any knife to its sharpness limits. Far from it. That's the reason why I don't care that much about maximum theoretical sharpness a knife can achieve. If it cuts food well and can pass all your sharpness tests like cutting paper, tomatoes and so on, then it's fine for me.

I think it makes more sense to take into considerations such things as price, profile, handles type, edge retention and so on. Most of the time in the kitchen there's hardly any need for absolute sharpness. At least in home kitchen :)

I haven't used any of those knives, but one is from entry level carbon series and the other is top line classic… I guess white steel on Masamoto could be sharpened a bit more extreme then Fujiwara, but I doubt it would make any difference in day to day tasks.

2 very different levels of knives. The FKH is a great entry level Japanese knife, which is exactly what I started with and love to use. The Masamato will take a steeper edge and hold it longer. The FKH is much more forgiving in terms of toughness than higher hardness/higher end Japanese knives. I would compare the two knives you mentioned above to the performance of a Ford Mustang GT (FKH) and a BMW M3 (KS). The mustang is a good bang for the buck sports car but the M3 is a much more refined sports car.

Lastly, if you are new to Japanese knives and freehand sharpening, I would recommend starting with the FKH. Messing up on a cheaper knife is far more tolerable than a more expensive knife, at least to me that is.

Fujiwara 240mm FKH Hardness: HRC 60

and

Masamoto KS Wa-Guyto Hardness: HRC 62

In theoretical they are different in hardness 60 and 62 that means Masamoto KS is sharper.

But.. in practical Do they are different in sharpness???

Think you've got some issues here...Masamoto is harder, not sharper. The HRc refers to hardness not Sharpness.

Stereo Pete has this one right the KS while hold a steeper edge longer than the FKH, but it will take you longer to get it there and it is more expensive and a lot less forgiving.

Again for everyone who reads this considering buying a j-knife for a first time, sharpening a knife is what makes it sharp. Learn to sharpen and you can maintain/improve on the edge of the knife that comes out of the box.

Think you've got some issues here...Masamoto is harder, not sharper. The HRc refers to hardness not Sharpness.

Stereo Pete has this one right the KS while hold a steeper edge longer than the FKH, but it will take you longer to get it there and it is more expensive and a lot less forgiving.

Again for everyone who reads this considering buying a j-knife for a first time, sharpening a knife is what makes it sharp. Learn to sharpen and you can maintain/improve on the edge of the knife that comes out of the box.

Spot on El Pescador, the important thing to learn is sharpening. I know a lot of guys at work with some fancy and expensive knives but they don't know how to sharpen them and as a result often use the crappy house knives because those get sent away to a (terrible) sharpening service. The main thing to remember is you are going to scratch up your knives for a while as you learn to sharpen, scratching an entry level Fujiwara would be a lot less heart-wrenching than scratching a Masamoto KS.

Back