Yoshikane SKD ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJDINO

Reaction score
Hi all, have been trawling through the forum for a few days, dangerous place :loll: I am a home cook, have sharpening experience on stones and glass with my chisels and planes being a builder/carpenter not sure how much this will help though, have ordered a King 1000/6000 stone.

I have narrowed my search to 2 knives, both different, I like the Yoshikane SKD 240mm gyuto, I prefer the non hammer finish but cannot find these at Epicurean Edge etc ? the other knife that looks to fit the bill is the Akifusa 240 Gyuto, although I don't love the handle. A dark hexagonal handle http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=84648 on a SKD would be my idea of a great knife.

Welcome to the forum.

I have a Yoshikane SKD kasumi that has been rehandled and I love it. Very sharp, great edge retention, low stiction.

I've messed around with a skd hammer finish and it's a great knife. I just bought a skd Kasumi that's re handled and I can't wait to get my paws on it.

My SKD kasumi Gyuto is one of my favorites. Not an expensive knife, but at 210mm its a 1st choice for quick and dirty jobs. Can't speak to the Akifusa.

Have you tried contacting EE or A Frames about availability of kasumi finish? I'm not a fan of the hammer finish either but I've not seen one in person.

Most of the choice Yoshikane on A-Frames are out .He does have a 270mm V2 steel still in stock beautiful knife.

My SKD from Rakuten took 2 months to arrive and i didn't save that much. They have V2 versions there too but communication was quite painful and you have to make sure you are buying right item. Don't bother asking the seller any question , I havent had any replies for my numerous e-mails. For the peace of mind I would order from EE

I have only good experience from A-Frames.Plus he carries some small forge knives not in the mainstream.

Sent emails to both EE and A Frame, see what they come back with, thanks again for your help all, much appreciated.

How about a wa Itinomonn from Maksim? Stainless clad V2...not quite the same, but in the same realm, maybe. Also Jon should (hopefully) get in another batch of his stainless clad Kochi at some point.

^ Thank you mate will have a look at the Maksim

Superfast response from both EE and A frame, unfortunately it looks like the hammer finish SKD is the only one available.

Maksim may be able to get you a kasumi SKD (he used to sell them under his "Zensho" name). Can't hurt to ask.

I have only good experience from A-Frames.Plus he carries some small forge knives not in the mainstream.

I've bought from A Frames a couple times and have had very good experiences. Got a Shige yanagi and most recently a Yoshikane gyuto w/burnt chestnut handle 240 V2. I've been very impressed with the V2. I think it was Rick's sticktion videos that prompted me to purchase the knife in the first place. It does wonders going through onions / potatoes / carrots etc.

Think the Kasumi SKD is a no go, what are peoples thought on Konosuke HD and HH ?

Completely different knives to the Yoshikane. They are typical Sakai lasers, i.e. very thin and light. In that class I would be looking at something from Ashi Hamono or Sakai Yusuke.

Think the Kasumi SKD is a no go, what are peoples thought on Konosuke HD and HH ?

Can I ask what the answer was that you got back? I've been waiting for these to come back into stock and am kicking myself for not getting one at the time. Did you hear back from Maksim that they're not getting any more?

Thanks!

I've been using a Kasumi skd for a few days now and it's insane. I would out it up there with some of my favorite I've use. If jns did get them in again I would jump on one at a different size

Can I ask where you got yours Turbo? Is it one of the tsuchime gyutos?

Thanks!

On bst right here last week. I was looking for one and there it was. image.jpg

Oh... You're the one that bought my knife... :lol2:

Man! That thing is gorgeous! You are one lucky dude!

A year or so ago Maksim discounted the Yoshi SKDs he had in stock. He posted something to the effect that they were commonly available and he was discontinuing them. You might try a WTB thread.

Yea, I should've bought one when I had the chance. Especially one of the SLD sujis. Kicking myself for that one! I opted for a Kato at the time though! :laugh:

Gengetsu from JKI is similar to what you are looking for , you may ask Jon to see when he is getting more in

Why not just get the SKD Tsuchime? Its a hell of a knife itself. Love mine

Chefcomesback, I considered Gengetsu, but it's a bit more expensive. Back to more saving!

Easy13, while I like the look of them, there's a part of me that just loves that kasumi finish. I'll have to check them out again next time I stop at EE (which is every time I'm in Seattle hah!)

Sorry OP for hijacking!

Ordered a Yoshikane SKD hammer finish, any recommendations for a Saya ?

Nice! I'd love to hear what you think of it.

As far as sayas go, I had a hard time finding any and got a lot of responses of "You can try our premade saya, but it may not work." from various vendors. You can always make your own!

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/12276-Making-a-saya

And a number of other tutorials. Aside from that, I think it'll have to be a custom job. I researched one for Yoshikanes when I was looking at buying one and never found anything that would fit. Maybe someone else has come across something?

Me personally, I think I'm going to end up making all my own sayas anyway. Fun!

Latest posts

Back