Looking to purchase my first knife!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamboojungles

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm looking at purchasing my first knife as I just upgraded some pots and pans as well! I done a few hrs of research and all I have to say is wow... there is a wealth of information out there. I literally mean, I was so close to clicking purchase on a Tojiro, Hattori, Masamoto, MAC, Masahiro, and dare I say... Shun. So I'll turn to you guys for some recommendations. I'll fill out the survey below:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Are you right or left handed?
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

Chef's knife - Gyuto
Right Handed
I really don't have a preference on the handle
210mm or 240mm will do
Stainless Steel is appreciated but not required
I'd like to spend less then $200, as it will be my first knife. I will also purchase some stones separately.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

The knife will be for home use.
I will be performing general tasks, cutting vegetables and meats will def be primary use. Here in NY, we don't break down our own meats very often, as we have butchers everywhere, but hey with a new knife who knows.
Not replacing any knife worth mentioning
I go back and forth between hammer and pinch grip. Its weird, I know.
I have no real preference on aestetics or comfort.
I would like a good out of box knife
No clue on edge retention - does sharpening once a month and honing once a week seem reasonable?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

Yes - Bamboo
No, but being as many people recommend it, I will learn to sharpen my own knives, which I could use some recommendations on as well.

PHEW! Thanks for the help guys!

Back