Description product: A knife roll, the "Gilabert".

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Möebius

Reaction score
_XRG1547.jpg

Measures:

Closed: 500mm x 260mm x 45mm // 19.6” x 10.2” x 1.7”
Open: 660mm x 500mm // 25.9” x 19.6”

It is a pleasure for us to introduce the Gilabert knife roll. We hope our product meets the needs and the quality expectations of our customers.

We would like to pay homage to the person who has taught us all what we know about leather crafts, thus this product bears the name of our master, who is, in our opinion, the best leather designer of the world, Mr Gilabert.

Here we describe the product characteristics according to the criteria which, in our opinion, a knife user should consider when he buy a Knife Roll to keep his value tools.

2.jpg

About the materials used...

One day we will write an article entitled: "The leather industry; how it works" to describe the entire process from the animal skin, the processed labor, to the final product sold to the customer. Although we tell you that the leather world is very big and an entire life would not be enough to learn everything about the subject. The man has been using it since he hunted the first animal to feed and dress himself, which means that with the stone, the leather is one of the first raw materials used by human being to develop his culture and colonize the planet. It is the story of an original raw material, impossible to summarize in two lines.

As far as we know, the goal of any craftsman is to use the best material to make his crafts. There are different kind of leather: crocodile, ostrich or horse … Furthermore, each animal has different pieces considered as better or worse quality in relation to the place of origin and also its mechanical properties. Once the qualities have been classified, the leather is treated and the final product can be chemical or vegetable. Thus there are different pieces that the craftsman classifies in class A, B, C or D, besides thousands of products and exclusive designs that every tannery commercializes in their annual collections.

Our choice for the external part of Gilabert has been a natural young french cow leather with vegetable tanning (WITHOUT CHROME) class "A" color "light brown". It is an "extra full grain leather" using the slang of the leather world. There is not a better leather because it is resistant and durable soft and pleasant to touch, is the perfect combination of strength and delicacy. Touching it with your hands you can feel that it is high quality material. Over the years, it will acquire a patina that will enhance its beauty and its value as a piece, it is a case for lifetime.

For the inside part, which is in touch with the knives, we chose a plush split leather class "A", with black dye and vegetable finishing. It is like velvet material that will protect the value knives contained. It is a material more resistant to the cuts than the textile, although it is necessary not forget that some knives are like a laser and cut anything.

3.jpg

Design and functionality;

Regarding this section, we say that it has not been easy to combine aesthetics with functionality. It is curious how some ideas come up and they seem easy to put them into practice, and then they get complicated up to modify thousand of things, resulting, at least in this case, a different product but better than the one that we had imagined, because no one thinks about details until one faces them in reality.

After making several designs with different types of leather for cutlery orders and local restaurants, we have come to this design starting from inside and finishing outside, because the most important thing is keeping knives safe.

The Gilabert has a velcro closure, we think it's the easiest way to open and to close it. Perhaps we have sacrificed aesthetics if we think that a zipper type closure would have been better but we are sure it would not be as durable as the velcro.

4.jpg

Inside there is a system for attach a sharpening steel and five individual compartments with velcro closure that could keep the favorite customer knife combinations, for example:

A 300mm yanagiba/slicer.
A 270mm gyuto/chef knife.
A 270mm suji/satoku.
A 240mm deba/nakiri.
A 240mm petty knife/boning knife, etc

…And many other combinations ... We believe that the individual compartments are the only way to keep safe the edges from clashes with other blades, which would not be very desirable for the sharpening.

The distribution of the compartments has been made such that the knives from one side overlap in the opposite position on the other side. This distribution helps the space utilization and it is more handy to carry, because the case becomes thinner like a document folder when it is closed.

The compartments for the handles have a leather reinforcement to protect them from possible scratches and are held on an elastic base to be more suitable for the different handle measures of the knives. The idea is that once the knife is positioned correctly and the case is closed, it should not move.

5.jpg

We have also incorporated a pocket for documents, it is also a very suitable place to keep personal items like keys or watch... There is a velcro closure to make the compartment more safe.

We added a couple of compartments for business cards, we think it can be useful for business people, who need to make job tests or have several jobs opportunities, have a place to keep cards for not losing the references.

In the low right corner of the card holder there is a product number. All our products are handmade one by one and have a serial number corresponding to the number of the certificate of authenticity that we send.

Any questions about this product are welcome. We will be very pleased to answer them.

Möebius

PS: In the following hours, we'll post a thread with the information about prices and shipping.

that is one sexy knife roll, I have a feeling it is going to be out of my price range :(

Question: In the 4th photo it shows handles inside leather and blades on top of leather. In the 5th photo it shows both handles and blades inside leather. I'm not sure how that works. Does the handle leather open and close? Thank you for clarifying.

Whoa, very classy. Im interested to know why velco would be better than a zipper? I know high quality zippers tend to be more expensive but for a artisanal piece like this, I think it would be worth while. Interested to know how the pricing will be on this.

We'll try to answer the questions as well as possible.

So, really the case does not have handle, is transported as a folder of documents, we have liked this design this way but have thought that to incorporate some strap in a future models.

About how it works with the blades, it is a lapel the one that opens and closes to cover the blades, the handle is under the reforced elastic bands. All lapels have a velcro closure to keep it from the movements as far as possible.

Respect of the zip vs velcro closure question, we would like to say that of in our experience zips haves more possibilities to get damaged than the velcro, in added if we are speaking about long zips. Certainly there are quality zips in the market, we don't refuse to use it in the future but not in this kind of design.

Thank you for the comments.

This is unbelievably beautiful. I love the style.

The knife 'flaps' are something I've wanted to see incorporated into a bag for awhile. Still think I'd prefer a portfolio style over this for practical reasons. But it is a very handsome kit.

That is awesome, not enough slots for my taste. Also it would probably be too pricy for me. Still looks great though.

What about a clasp or two? Or a toggle closure? Something in brass to fit the rustic, classic look. It's a gorgeous knife roll!

Hi, it's a design question, as the handle to carry it, so, yes, clasp or toggle closure can be an option, it depends on the personal preferences. Soon we will start a thread where we will offer customize our products, anything can be done on leather, the only limit is the imagination.

Thank you for the all comments, we are very happy to read that you like it.

I think most of us need like six to ten more times the slots than that one has lol!

Back