Quantcast
Wootz
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wootz

Wootz

I pretty much know the story behind this steel, the steel came from a mine in India and was a 1000 years ahead of its time and the mine only lasted for 200 years or so.

some russian i think was able to reproduce it simular no more then a decade or two ago

But how is this steel compared to others? to sharpen, hold an edge and so on?
    Vive pro omni die

Quote Originally Posted by Sabaki View Post
    I pretty much know the story behind this steel, the steel came from a mine in India and was a 1000 years ahead of its time and the mine only lasted for 200 years or so.

some russian i think was able to reproduce it simular no more then a decade or two ago

But how is this steel compared to others? to sharpen, hold an edge and so on?
    The ore itself was only part of the equation; it's the casting of the ingot that was really interesting.

From back when I was involved a little more, I remember Ric Furrer describing it as "diamonds in mud", referring to very hard carbides in a very soft surrounding matrix.

It can probably make a nice kitchen knife, but its qualities are somewhat contrary to what is conventionally regarded as ideal for a standard chef knife...perhaps better for butchering or other applications.

I have a couple wootz blades. One is a Pendray hunter and the other is a Furrer/HHH slicer.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I have a couple wootz blades. One is a Pendray hunter and the other is a Furrer/HHH slicer.

k.
    i've seen the pictures of that amazing slicer of your's, how is that snakeskin sheet coming along?
    Vive pro omni die

?
    I could be wrong but I think Pendray is the guy that recreated this stuff? From my understanding the process created a superior steel back in the day when a lot of steel was crap. In other words modern steels are just as good if not superior to wootz, but the stuff sure is pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by XooMG View Post
    The ore itself was only part of the equation; it's the casting of the ingot that was really interesting.

From back when I was involved a little more, I remember Ric Furrer describing it as "diamonds in mud", referring to very hard carbides in a very soft surrounding matrix.

It can probably make a nice kitchen knife, but its qualities are somewhat contrary to what is conventionally regarded as ideal for a standard chef knife...perhaps better for butchering or other applications.

It's a very interesting steel to read about and it's made in various quality with carboncontent 0,8-2,0% and a very high density

sword made by a mastersmith could cost as much as three elephants
    Vive pro omni die

i found this site describing how to make the stuff: http://www.antracit.se/index.php/sv/...77-dievar.html
    click on your flag to get the translation and scroll down
    Vive pro omni die

It's a very interesting steel to read about and it's made in various quality with carboncontent 0,8-2,0% and a very high density

sword made by a mastersmith could cost as much as three elephants
    You'd need two elephants, and then it's just matter of time.

+ Reply to Thread