Recommend a carbon 150mm wa petty for ~ $100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardline_42

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a workhorse carbon wa-handled petty to my collection. Here's my info:

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Petty/utility
Are you right or left handed?
Right
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanses
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Nope
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Would like to keep it in the $100 range, but I can go up to about $125 if needed

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home
What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Board work where my gyuto is too big (garlic, shallots etc.), in-hand work where my parer is too small (peeling and quartering large fruit) and meat prep (trimming, breaking down chicken, fileting fish)
What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not replacing anything, just trying to fill a gap between my Shun Classic parer (which I like) and my Tojiro DP gyuto (which I would like to replace with a carbon wa gyuto in the near future)
Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch
What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cutting, chopping and sometimes draw cutting
What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I like the look of wa handles lined up on a mag strip, not gonna lie.
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I'd like a light-to-medium weight knife. While I love the Shun d-handle, I've never tried an octagonal handle, so I have no preference there. I prefer a blade heavy knife for this application.
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
OOB sharpness would be a plus, but not required. I would like less wedging for sure. Reactivity is not an issue since I'm used to using carbon knives in non-kitchen applications and know how to force a patina etc. Ease of sharpening is a plus since I'm still new at using the stones.
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Good edge retention would be nice, but not at the expense of easy sharpening

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Wood only
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes. I've only had consistent good results with carbon steel, though, and not so much with stainless.
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
I use a Bester 1.2k and a Suehiro Rika 5k on a bamboo sink bridge. I strop on the Rika but don't mind adding dedicated strops for maintenance and any other stones that might be useful.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I've had my eye on a couple of Jon's offerings. Namely, the Gesshin Uraku 150mm petty in white #2 and the Zakuri in Blue #1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Metalmasterjp is a reputable seller and you can find some good mentions about him here on KKF.

I'm a big fan of Tanaka's knifes. They seem to be a good value for the money. Fit and finish are so so. I use 150 Tanaka petty in stainless on a daily basis. Replaced stock handle with custom one and now it's probably the most used (and abused) knife in our home kitchen. Just a good value for the money.

Haven't tried Gesshin, but generally everything that Jon sells is considered to be of very good quality. I believe you can't go wrong with either Gesshin or Tanaka

A Suisin Inox could be a contender. They're available for about $80.

I have tried a couple knives in the gesshin uraku series and I would say that for the price I dont believe they can be beat. I dont know if the petty comes with a saya but the ones I have tried came with a beautiful saya and the handles have always been very nice for an inexpensive knife like this. I would highly recommend the uraku series.

Thanks! That's definitely a contender. How's the fit and finish compared to the Uraku and Zakuri (I don't expect perfection at my price point)? What kind of experience can I expect with that eBay seller?

The fit and finish of the Tanaka is on par with the Zakuri, and a step below the Uraku. You will want to round the spine and choil area, which isn't difficult to do. The handle is ho wood and horn, not an unknown white wood and plastic. MetalMaster is a reputable seller, who also has a website, not just an eBay storefront. I've purchased several knives from him, with no issues. If you don't opt for the expedited shipping, expect at least a two week wait for your knife.

Oh, one other thing. The Zakuri and Uraku are relatively thick at the spine, while the Tanaka is much thinner. I've never had any wedging with my Tanaka, but have had some with my Zakuri.

Rick

The fit and finish of the Tanaka is on par with the Zakuri, and a step below the Uraku. You will want to round the spine and choil area, which isn't difficult to do. The handle is ho wood and horn, not an unknown white wood and plastic. MetalMaster is a reputable seller, who also has a website, not just an eBay storefront. I've purchased several knives from him, with no issues. If you don't opt for the expedited shipping, expect at least a two week wait for your knife.

Oh, one other thing. The Zakuri and Uraku are relatively thick at the spine, while the Tanaka is much thinner. I've never had any wedging with my Tanaka, but have had some with my Zakuri.

Rick
This is very helpful. I don't want to get hung up on steels, but what can you tell me about the white #2 on the Uraku vs the blue #2 on the Tanaka?

Good call in not getting hung up on steel type. It is worth noting that Tanakas are very, very good knives, and anything Jon sells is going to be better than the majority (especially at that price point). With a petty, you want relative thinness, all over, in my mind, due to the tasks it will perform. For example, trimming, going between chicken joints, in hand work, etc. This is one time I'd say go with something that JKI doesn't carry (sorry, Jon. Haha). This of course, is preference and based on the fact that I haven't used a Zakuri. :)

Honestly, both will be very good, at worst, and the Tanaka will be great once you sand down the choil and spine a bit. The ht seems really good on them, as well (to answer your question).

This is very helpful. I don't want to get hung up on steels, but what can you tell me about the white #2 on the Uraku vs the blue #2 on the Tanaka?

The conventional wisdom is that white is easier to sharpen and takes a keener edge, while blue has better edge retention. In actual use, in a home environment, you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for the suggestions. I ended up ordering the Tanaka 150mm damascus petty in blue #2 from Metalmaster. Can't wait to get it. Thanks again, everyone.

Give us an update when you receive it on how you like it! Now you have sparked interest in me. For a 75 dollar knife, I am surprised it is receiving such praise.

Give us an update when you receive it on how you like it! Now you have sparked interest in me. For a 75 dollar knife, I am surprised it is receiving such praise.
I think he even got it for a really good $58 in the MM sale. He got the last one as well I think. Great deal.

I think he even got it for a really good $58 in the MM sale. He got the last one as well I think. Great deal.

I'll make sure to give my impressions when I get it. I sprung for the expedited shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long. There was only one left after I ordered, BTW. Looks like they're all sold out now.

I'll make sure to give my impressions when I get it. I sprung for the expedited shipping, so hopefully it won't take too long. There was only one left after I ordered, BTW. Looks like they're all sold out now.

As promised, I wanted to update this thread with my impressions of the Tanaka 150mm Damascus petty from Metalmaster. This is my first wa-handle knife and I'm new to kitchen knives in general, so I'll try and keep as much subjectivity out of this as possible.

I ordered the knife on 1/27 with shipping through EMS and I received it on 1/31, 4 days later. There were no hiccups with payment or shipping. Everything came wrapped up nicely and there was no damage. The knife came in a box with a plastic sheath over the blade.

The knife itself is very light and longer than I expected (157mm, IIRC). The damascus cladding is light and similar to my Shun parer but unpolished. The handle is a comfortable length. It's a D-handle, which is unexpected. I thought it would be octagonal, but I like it just fine.

The knife is thin. I'll update later with exact measurements, but I believe I measured the spine at 2.01mm at the heel and 0.64 behind the tip. Blade height was about 33mm. It was tall enough for adequate clearance on the board with a pinch grip. The blade itself had decent fit and finish, definitely good for the price. The stamp on one side was clear but not an even depth throughout:

The engraving on the other side is a very nice touch, though a bit rustic:

The spine is smooth, but the edges are a bit sharp and could use some rounding. There was also a bit of a nasty divot on one side of the choil. The choil is pretty rough overall, but not uncomfortable yet. I might have it rounded in the future.

The handle seems like it could use some work. I won't comment on the "bolster" side of the handle since I have nothing to compare to:

The handle/ferrule junction was good, with just a hint of a step. The ferrule is not finish-sanded or polished as far as I can tell:

The butt end is not pretty. Very rough, uneven sanding and some marks. Since I've had it, I've wiped it with a few coats of mineral oil, but I think I'll want some work done to it later on:

As far as performance, the knife came with a very sharp edge, OOTB. It shaves arm hair and push cuts paper. It feels very thin going through fruit with little wedging. I can't comment on the geometry, but here's a choil shot:

In hand, it feels a bit on the large side. Larger than I like for fruit the size of oranges and apples (maybe the 105mm would be ideal) but good for larger things. On the board, it feels very nice but a bit light. For things like celery and carrots, I prefer something with a bit more weight to it. I like the way it goes through onions and scallions. It's especially handy with garlic.

With regard to reactivity, it's not as bad as I expected. There was a definite smell when cutting apples and pears, as well as a few black streaks on the fruit, but nothing like some Swedish carbon steels I have. In one session, I cut oranges, apples, pears, avocado, onions, celery and garlic and it only developed the tiniest hint of a greyish patina in the middle of the blade.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the knife for the price. I'm not happy with the handle, but it's just an aesthetic thing and doesn't affect it's functionality. I think I'll be trying out more Tanaka Damascus offerings in the future. I hope this is helpful for anyone considering purchasing one.

Just wanted to update with measurements.

Blade height at heel: 33mm
Thickness at heel: 2.13mm
Thickness behind tip: 0.6mm
Blade length from heel: 156mm
Handle length: 117mm

Since I've also received same knife today, I decided to add some info. Some measurements that are a bit different:

Blade height at heel: 32,17mm
Thickness at heel: 1.88mm
Blade length from heel: 151mm

This is third Tanaka knife that I own, and I must admit that handle on this one is way better compared to other Tanakas.The ferrule is polished, but has visible scratches from low grits, though I can't feel them and they doesn't look bad to my eyes. Size of the handle was about perfect for my small hands.

I don't use pinch grip with petty knives so there isn't much sense for me in rounded spine/choill. I'll round them anyway just because I can, but from the usability department knife is perfectly usable OOTB. Factory edge was pretty good but became noticeably better after stropping. It's also noticeable thicker behind the edge then Shigefusa, but a bit thinner then Carbonext.

My knife came in exactly the same packaging as for hardline_42 and looks pretty much the same, so I'll add just a few shots to illustrate ferrule polish, choil and profile compared to other petty knives.

12343387554_65b5d14d2d_z.jpg

12343092523_8ef5035a65_z.jpg

12343387144_e5bd4da624_z.jpg

Shigefusa, Carbonext, Tanaka blue#2, Tanaka VG10

After reading the thread and particularly the reviews (thanks hardline_42 & icanhaschzbrgr), I bought the last Tanaka 150mm damascus petty in blue #2 that Metalmaster had in stock a few weeks ago. Purchase and shipment went very smooth. Mine was ok in fit and finish, the butt end was very poor, rough and uneven but otherwise generally ok. Factory edge was pretty good, but now after some touch up, it has a very nice edge and it cuts great. I'm more than happy with the purchase now after using it for a while - definitely good for the price.

I have a rehandled Tanaka 210 that sees a lot of use. Not a laser but with some slight thinning is a great prep knife. It is the knife on top.

DSC_1045_zps2e08ce28.jpg

Back