Best strop base for flatness and not warping. Wood, MDF?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Regardless of what is on top like balsa, lesther, or felt... What is best for a flat and stable base? MDF, wood? Sealed in any way and with what? I would think MDF is best.

3" x 1/2" steel bar stock (or you could go thinner - 1/4", 3/16", 1/8"), cut to desired length, ground smooth to remove scale. then you can add self-stick magnetic sheeting to whatever substrate you strop on. You oculd get it machined if you want it perfectly smooth as glass, but if you put something else on top of it it doesn't really matter.

Long story on the marble, but it was a PITA so I gave up. I got two 1/2" thick pieces of red oak, clamped/glued together, hit with some poly, and will epoxy a thin sheet of steel to the top. Cost about $10.

Here's my $10 base. Got the 26awg sheet metal from a buddy who works at a metal shop.

12244366064_4b8c6c3ec1_c_d.jpg

12244366244_031fe4f545_c_d.jpg

12243938695_f2a7d0df61_c_d.jpg

Good idea wt. the metal sheet.Nice thing about making your own strop is long & wide as you want.

I bought an 12"x9"x2" granite surface block that is .0001 dead flat on the whole surface for $23.00 and $7.50 shipped. It was on sale up until the 1/23/14, but will go on sale again. It's an excellent base for anykind of sharpening, especially wet dry sand paper or anything else you want to stick to it. 3M makes a spray that is the same stuff they use on "post it notes", and this will allow anything to stick to this granite block. I can't think of a flatter, more solid surface. I have nothing to do with the supplier of this product

Here are the specs: Product Information:

Usually only found in machine shops, the super flat face of the granite surface plate is ideal for leveling small plane beds, flattening waterstones and general sharpening duties. Simply soak a piece of wet/dry sandpaper in water and lay it down on the stone; the capillary action of the water adheres the paper to the stone, eliminating the need for spray adhesives or PSA sandpaper. When done, wipe clean with a paper towel. This A grade plate measures 9" x 12" x 2", weighs 26 lbs. and comes with a surface map. Plate does not have ledges.

Stable, ultra flat surface

Flat to .0001

Moisture and corrosion free

Easy to clean
- See more at:http://www.woodcraft.com/Images/products/600/144838.jpg

Latest posts

Back